Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joying single din stereo. Anyone tried this one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 08:48 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastercat

Easiest install I’ve ever done

I paid $66 Canadian for this unit shippedfrom eBay. So far seems great. For the price I might I order a spare. I haven’t hooked up the included rear view camera yet tho.
Link?

Old 10-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastercat

Easiest install I’ve ever done

I paid $66 Canadian for this unit shippedfrom eBay. So far seems great. For the price I might I order a spare. I haven’t hooked up the included rear view camera yet tho.
That's a fancy custom 2x side tape job!

The following users liked this post:
Esco4227 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Yes it just plugged right in. Although the 2 sided tape seems pretty strong I might figure out a mechanical fastener of some sort for fear of it letting go while off-roading.
I can’t seem to get the car play to work. It might be my phone tho. The instructions are very poor but otherwise so far the radio seems pretty good. Bluetooth quality seems good.
One thing I’ve noticed is the lowest volume for the radio seems louder than it should be, but music from my iPhone by Bluetooth has a quieter lower setting

Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

i just ordered one of the cheapo single-din joying units that was linked in the first post. will report back once i've been able to install it and try it out. i suspect that i will at least need to get an additional harness to keep the steering wheel controls.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 AM
TReK

quick update: unit arrived and looks reasonable. it came with a freebie backup camera that i will probably try to mount after the unit is in and functioning in all other ways. the first boot takes a little while but it's not too sluggish once it's simply suspending and resuming.
the harness that comes with it is plug and play to the rover harness -- or at least partially plug and play. the device boots and picks up fm stations but i'm not getting sound yet. i was able to connect to my home wifi and bluetooth to my phone, and it reads audio files from a usb drive. it comes with its own gps antenna but you would have to tether it to your phone to get live data. there's an external mic for the phone connection and a couple of usb extensions; i'm thinking of bringing one of the usb ports forward to an empty button space on the rover so i have a way to plug in my phone without needing to leave a cable permanently mounted.
best of all, the lcd screen is a perfect fit for the space in the rover dashboard. with the mounting pegs in the default central position, the screen extends a half-din height above and below the body of the radio, so there will be no need for an additional blanking spacer.

i'm now looking at the wiring pin-outs for the rover plugs and the new harness. i believe it should even be possible to retain the steering wheel controls without needing an extra harness. once i've got things working i'll post up some findings along with a few pics of the installation.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

There's a YouTube video somewhere on how to program it for the steering wheel controls

Old 11-25-2019, 08:06 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Can you still use the factory cd changer with these?

Old 11-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I kind of think I'd rather put in a RAM mount and an iPad mini and use Grom Bluetooth to get the audio out.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:19 AM
TReK

no, the factory cd changer won't work with these. not even the grom units let you do that. if you want to retain a cd player, you'll probably have to get a head unit that includes one.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:36 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
no, the factory cd changer won't work with these. not even the grom units let you do that. if you want to retain a cd player, you'll probably have to get a head unit that includes one.
Ok, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Joying single din stereo. Anyone tried this one?