Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jump seat retrofit & other questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jump seat retrofit & other questions.

I am considering selling my 2 door Tahoe and purchasing a Discovery. One reason is that since I sold my Excursion and dropped down to the Tahoe, I am sometimes out of room and need the jump seats - are they fairly easy to retrofit (I am a BMW Master Tech) if I find one without? Second, what is the equipment level differenced from SD to SE? Third, I vastly prefer a manual transmission - who makes the unit - Gertag, Temec - and is it a bomb like the units in the GM trucks? Are the Auto boxes decent? Third, what is th overall height with the big roof rack? Last, since selling my trail Jeep Cherokee (lockers, suspension, snorkle, winch, etc.) I have longed to go off road again. I live within an hour of thousands of acres of OHV land and miss spending days away from traffic. Forums like this are a huge asset to owners, if I buy one, I'll soon be very active.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Jump seat retrofit & other questions.

first off wecome to the forums. jump seats are standard on NAS Discos, or at least extremly common. dont know about trim levels, sorry. i hear you on wanting a stick. however, im pretty sure they stoped producing manual Discos after '95. so they're few and far between, you should be able to find one, but who knows how far away it will be. not sure who makes it, but i havnt heard anything bad about them. my visor says its about 73.5" tall (6'1.5") with the rear moon roof down. if you're talking about one of the big aftermarkt safari style racks, i dont know, say 5-6" above that?

as they say its "The Best 4x4xFar"

Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Excursion wit a 4" lift was 6 feet, 11 7/8 inches, and was spooky pulling into my 7 foot garage door. I'll be getting the genuine LR full safari rack, according to your measurements, with the rack and the 2 inch lift planned, I'll clear by about 4 inches.

Old 09-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with bigger tires as well, you should still be fine.

www.roversnorth.com has classifieds somewhere. we do to somewhere at the bottm of the main page. best of luck.