Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumped in with both feet/little introduction.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,186 Likes on 849 Posts
Default Jumped in with both feet/little introduction.

HERS...

Bought this 03 for my wife, did rotors and pads, master cylinder, shocks/refurbish towers, drag-link/track bar, radiator reservoir/thermostat, all fluids changed (brake, trans, axles, engine, PS and transfer case). Has the "tick", so a cam, rockers and lifters are in its immediate future (just waitng to take last summer car into storage for room in the garage).

HIS...

Had looked at this 01 "fixer-upper" prior to buying the 03 (bad trans/front driveshaft let loose with a fury).. Kept thinking about it after fiddling with my wife's...so it followed me home for the price of scrap.

Trans is coming out slowly.

Y-pipe took a beating...and didn't keep on ticking.

Transfer case just hanging around.

Bumper is smashed, which is fine...I'll make a new bumper for her.

Bit about myself...been a mechanic for 39 years. Mostly mid-range/heavy-duty, but keep in touch with the auto industry enough to make myself dangerous. I've got a couple old 928's that I mess around with, ones a driver (84) and the other is a garage-queen (78).

Looking forward to hanging out here, and getting advice when needed.

Brian.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Welcome to the forum and hello from Traverse City! I think I read a while back that you are in Northern Michigan. Whereabouts are you guys located?

Christina

Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Welcome to the forum and hello from Traverse City! I think I read a while back that you are in Northern Michigan. Whereabouts are you guys located?

Christina
Hello Christina,

No, we're in the Allenton area...about midway between don't-drink-the-water Flint and do-drink-the-water Port Huron...lol.

Brian.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=KernowDiscovery;583548] and hello from Traverse City! /QUOTE]

Sorry I had not noticed you on the forum before now. I'm a 4th generation native of TC, recently relocated to the AA area.

Rover on!

Old 10-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you replace the cam and lifters do a bit more research. I replaced mine because that is exactly what the noise sounds like. I buy a lot of parts from Falcon Works in Tucson and they told me not to waist my money. After I did the work the tick was still there so I pulled it back apart and replaced the rocker assemblies because that was the last thing left. Tick was still there. I drove it four years with the tick, pulled my boat in 100* temps with the AC blasting. The engine finally failed and I replaced it with a tophat motor. I have not pulled the old motor apart yet to find where the tick was coming from.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Hello Christina,

No, we're in the Allenton area...about midway between don't-drink-the-water Flint and do-drink-the-water Port Huron...lol.

Brian.
Ahh.. a 'downstater' I have a good friend who lives in Lapeer so I've been in your neck of the woods before. She used to live in Flint so I know that I drank the water that I wasn't supposed to drink! I switched to drinking cool-aid but people have told me that that's not too good for me either

Old 10-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

[QUOTE=NickAdams;583562]
Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
and hello from Traverse City! /QUOTE]

Sorry I had not noticed you on the forum before now. I'm a 4th generation native of TC, recently relocated to the AA area.

Rover on!
Strange.. I'm kind of hard to miss..

4th generation? Did you attend Central? Maybe we know each other (or I went to school with your parents) - born and raised here, went to Tech, came back and have been working here ever since. I don't move around much - I like it here! My family has been in the TC area for years.. in fact my great, great grandfather was a lighthouse keeper in the late 1800's at Point Betsie.

Rover on and back to the thread!

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 10-29-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by mark d
Before you replace the cam and lifters do a bit more research. I replaced mine because that is exactly what the noise sounds like. I buy a lot of parts from Falcon Works in Tucson and they told me not to waist my money. After I did the work the tick was still there so I pulled it back apart and replaced the rocker assemblies because that was the last thing left. Tick was still there. I drove it four years with the tick, pulled my boat in 100* temps with the AC blasting. The engine finally failed and I replaced it with a tophat motor. I have not pulled the old motor apart yet to find where the tick was coming from.
Hello Mark,

Thank you, for the insite.

I've done a bunch of research on here and through google. There surely seems to be a lot of different "fixes" for the "tick". Won't buy anything until I've got things apart and measurements have been made of cam duration/lift, pushrods and rocker arms have been looked over closely. This tick develops after it warms up, and besides reading up on the issue, I've done quite a bit of research of my own, changing oil five times using different grades...and the tick quality changed with each oil (one seafoam-trans fluid flush, 20W50, 10W40, 5W30 and then back to 20W50, which offers the biggest difference). I'm hooking up an external oil gauge to see what those readings are, too.

Plus, there is a slight miss at idle, which leads me to believe it is cam/lifter related. If it were the cylinder liner, I don't believe the oil changes would make an immediate difference.

But, "time will tell". And, I'll chase this tick to the hottest part of he** if I have too...lol.

Christina, you have a great looking Discovery...love that green color.

Brian.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:46 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Disco also has the "tick" and it puzzled me for a long time. I thought for sure it was a lifter that was out at first, but just didn't seem to keep the right 'timing'. After spending a bit of time under the hood with a stethoscope I found the source to be a valve that sits on the intake manifold near the throttle body. If your "tick" is the same "tick" just put you hand on the round valve thing (it's part of the emissions) and see if it is tapping in time with your "tick".

(just my two cents)

Last edited by Ms.Muse; 10-29-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Christina, you have a great looking Discovery...love that green color.
*Note to self: Take better photos.. Oslo Blue looks green in this one*

Thanks Brian!

Quick Reply: Jumped in with both feet/little introduction.