Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought a 99 LR Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought a 99 LR Disco II

I love the feel driving it and honestly for the 1000 bucks i paid for the rig, its worth whatever repairs i need to make. It has three amigos, shop wants 100 bucks to run diagnostics for this... If anyone is near Boise ID and has a cpu Id forever appreciate help with diagnostics.
Idling in D at a stop sign earlier today and heard some tapping from under the middle console and back seat, shifted to N and it stopped, back to D no noise.... Maybe fluid is low? Tech at shop said one drop per second from front tranny pan plug means its full. So i need to check this. Oil in motor is excellent condition. Seems to run strong. But snow season is coming here and really need to figure out the three amigos issue before first snowfall. Heard a rumor it could ve as simple as a relay? This one does have the ACE unit. Any info or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM
5th Gear

Oh, I also need a new front bumper with the fog lights and a passenger front blinker casing. Any info or leads on cheap ones in my area would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Craigslist is your friend for parts!

Welcome

Old 11-20-2018, 06:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Buy a steel bumper off ebay - you will be glad you did. Three amigos is likely a worn wheel hub, you need a diagnostic tool to figure out which one. How many miles on the truck? Do a search on the forum on Delphi DS150 - it will read the codes and tell you which one. You should also read up on the Wabco Option B ABS modification.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:53 PM
5th Gear

Theres 191,921 miles on it. Is the Delphi a cpu? Sorry new to all the terms. Im a LR n00b.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Its a obd2 code reader

Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 AM
5th Gear

So i should buy that and should i just do option B mod and see if it works? Seems simple enough, a little time consuming but if it fixes it, definitely cheaper than US british charges for a new svs. They want like 800 bucks.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,402 Likes on 1,002 Posts

with that many miles I can almost guarantee you it is with that many miles I can almost guarantee you it is a worn wheel hub that is sending the wabco ABS ECU erratic signals causing The Three Amigos. I have to over 200,000 miles and both of them at the Three Amigos on for that cause

Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

They are a very addictive machine. I’m a poster child for how they suck you in. Good news is mine is a happy story.

So then, first things first:
- Do some googling or searching here on all the known issues of the Disco- you will have all of them at one point or another. They are all very well documented and cheap to fix once you can find used parts or suppliers
- Spend $100 on a Disco specific code reader (not generic). My first was an icarsoft. It will give you the code for specifically what it will take to fix the 3 amigos.
- Download the Rave service manual and get to bed time reading.

Specifically on the amigos it will will be one of 3 things: the hub as mentioned, a wheel speed sensor, or the shuttle valve. Look up “option b” for the shuttle valve and you will have the long term fix if that’s the issue (but you need the D2 code reader to know this).

Cosmetic stuff takes patience and perseverence and you and you can get whatever you need used for pennies. if you fall for them as I have, you’ll get good at fixing it, and learn how to keep it going for minimal $$$. They are really quite fun.

The following users liked this post:
Quest4ADV (11-29-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

If you need to do sensors, just do the entire hub, the ones off eBay at fine.

rebuild the WABCO ABS pump doing the option B fix, and new valve and seals from Falconwerks in AZ.

Get yourself a code reader that does the ABS. You’ll want to have for recurrence.

Quick Reply: Just Bought a 99 LR Disco II