Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a Disco 2 - Giving me codes P1412 & P1415

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:44 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a Disco 2 - Giving me codes P1412 & P1415

I just bought my 1st Land Rover ( I'm in LOVE ),
its a 2004 Discovery II SE. 99,XXX Miles.

First thing I did was have the guys at my local shop do my Oil (10w40 Valvoline traditional ) and flush my coolant as recommended (Dex cool). The coolant hoses seem to get tight when the engine is at operating temp but not so tight that I can't squeeze them, which I read is a good sign.

I've had it for 2 days without the SEL being on, and on day 2 the SEL came on so I immediately checked the codes.

I ran a search for these codes P1412 & P1415 and it looks like they are Seconday Air Injector codes.

I did a bit more research and found that they can sometimes go off without fault, so I went ahead and cleared the codes as suggested.

Since I've cleared them I've started the vehicle 4 different times and have driven it ~an hour and the codes haven't come back.

How long should I wait before to determine whether somethings really wrong or if it was just kicking me a code without a true fault?

Also any general Disco II maintenance and upkeep or things I should replace ASAP would be awesome.

Thanks for all your help Land Rover Forums !

I'm looking forward to being apart of a badass community.

-Harrison

Old 10-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi. Welcome.

1412 and 1415 were my first codes.. Ah...

I would spend $10 on some vacuum hose and little fittings from your local parts supplier. It's something you want to do anyway, and might be the cause.

After that, I would look at Sai solenoid.

Oh, easiest check is that the correct wire connector is on the solenoid. It's possible to switch it with the one next to it. Throwing these codes.

Anyway. Have a read around.

Originally Posted by Harrison Andretti
I just bought my 1st Land Rover ( I'm in LOVE ),
its a 2004 Discovery II SE. 99,XXX Miles.

First thing I did was have the guys at my local shop do my Oil (10w40 Valvoline traditional ) and flush my coolant as recommended (Dex cool). The coolant hoses seem to get tight when the engine is at operating temp but not so tight that I can't squeeze them, which I read is a good sign.

I've had it for 2 days without the SEL being on, and on day 2 the SEL came on so I immediately checked the codes.

I ran a search for these codes P1412 & P1415 and it looks like they are Seconday Air Injector codes.

I did a bit more research and found that they can sometimes go off without fault, so I went ahead and cleared the codes as suggested.

Since I've cleared them I've started the vehicle 4 different times and have driven it ~an hour and the codes haven't come back.

How long should I wait before to determine whether somethings really wrong or if it was just kicking me a code without a true fault?

Also any general Disco II maintenance and upkeep or things I should replace ASAP would be awesome.

Thanks for all your help Land Rover Forums !

I'm looking forward to being apart of a badass community.

-Harrison

Old 10-28-2015, 03:10 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
Hi. Welcome.

1412 and 1415 were my first codes.. Ah...

I would spend $10 on some vacuum hose and little fittings from your local parts supplier. It's something you want to do anyway, and might be the cause.

After that, I would look at Sai solenoid.

Oh, easiest check is that the correct wire connector is on the solenoid. It's possible to switch it with the one next to it. Throwing these codes.

Anyway. Have a read around.
awesome I appreciate the quick reply. I'll see what Advanced auto has in stock n get right on those fixes.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

This is the solenoid.

And it's the purge valve that it's possible to get the wiring mixed up with.

Find this bit (drivers side), then trace all the vac tubes going to/from it. Check their connections. As I say, I would renew them, then you know they are good.

You can test the solenoid by taking it off and applying 12v directly. It should be a very definite 'click' as it opens and closes.

SAI is there to generally be a PITa. Be noisy. Throw codes. Get in the way.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a flow chart in RAVE within emissions control, SAI fault finding and check malfunctions, that can guide you through. The 1412 and 15 codes are the passive or flow related test failures.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
This is the solenoid.

And it's the purge valve that it's possible to get the wiring mixed up with.

Find this bit (drivers side), then trace all the vac tubes going to/from it. Check their connections. As I say, I would renew them, then you know they are good.

You can test the solenoid by taking it off and applying 12v directly. It should be a very definite 'click' as it opens and closes.
Can someone help me narrow the search down and give me an idea on where to start looking on the drivers side??

Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Right under the Idle Air Control. This pic is looking in from the driver side.

The following users liked this post:
Friday Night Disco (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Grey Plug = SAI Valve & the Black Plug = Purge Control Valve.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks Red5 & Best4x4

Found it and became perplexed on how to get the hose clamps off

Will look to see if there is some special tool or technique to getting them off.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Thanks Red5 & Best4x4

Found it and became perplexed on how to get the hose clamps off

Will look to see if there is some special tool or technique to getting them off.

standard screw driver pops the clamps loose.

Quick Reply: Just bought a Disco 2 - Giving me codes P1412 & P1415