Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought our first DISCO... Now What?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just bought our first DISCO... Now What?!

Long time fan of Land Rover rigs... FINALLY we found one!

So we finally found a really nice White 2002 LR Discovery 2 SE with only 57k on it! We have been looking forever, not in a hurry... and BAM! This one hit craigslist! We snagged it.

I plan on taking it with the family to West Yellowstone Park on our summer
vacation road trip. We live in Portland, OR so it will be about 12-15 hours drive there, depending on how many stops we make along the way. (got 2 boys, 4 and 6 yr olds)

Anyways... this rig looks and drives like new. I plan on taking it in to Columbia Rovers for its 60K service. (it has 57k on it now) As far as I can tell, it seems like the previous owners took care of it. It is totally stock. No mods.

I have only been a member here for a week, and have been trying to keep up on Disco Mikes advice (thank you in advance Disco Mike) on suggestions and tips for us first timers.

Your advice and suggestions is appreciated everybody!

Thanks!

-JKPinPDX

Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Welcome. First order of business is having CR inspect the front driveshaft. These come stock without enough grease fittings. When they vibrate, chirp, and snap with almost no warning, they punch a hole in the transmision case. New transmissions can run $7000 at the dealer. DIY rebuild of the shaft is written up in our tech section, under $100 or so. Would advise reading through those tech articles. Download the RAVE service and owner's manuals in link below. Very popular oil is Shell Rotella 15W40, please consider an Ultra Gauge as an addition that reads and displays what you want from the engine computer, like coolant temp (the factory gauge is an idiot light with a pointer); it also reads and resets engine codes. See UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool. For the trip, suggest an inverter to charge small electronics, and a plug strip so you can run multiple things at one time. Of course, hope they'll see enough out the window to ignore the electronic toys, but......

Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I was going to suggest signing over your first born in preparations for the eventual repairs. But, I think you're looking for serious answers.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put it up for sale !!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lol...

Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy
I was going to suggest signing over your first born in preparations for the eventual repairs. But, I think you're looking for serious answers.
That is classic... great advice... Welcome to the short bus crew... and yes a inverter and some dvd screens for the back... I hate to break the news to you Savannnah..... but kids don't soak up what we use to. They are glued to there phones and video games... oh, don't forget the headphones for them so you can enjoy the sights. As for the ultra gauge...well... i don't need something to turn me into a nervous wreak... maybe if you have a co pilot but it's over kill in my mind. Think about something that just buzzes loud enough for you to just shut down the motor...I'll send the link for a device that is used in AUS and Europe.

Anyway, start studying up, It's going to be a $$$$$ Ride....

Chris

Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, don't take it to a shop to have the 60K done, they will only do part of what is needed and charge you a fortune for it leaving you with many items still needing attention.
If you are even slightly mechanical then go read my major service list at the top of this section and "YOU" do it all, with a little help from us, that way it will all be done right, you will learn what makes your truck tick and it will cost your hundreds less.
Read my list and then lets talk, also notice, you must rebuild or replace the front drive shaft prior to anything else. If it has not been done when it brakes, and lots of them do, it will take your tranny with it.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
also notice, you must rebuild or replace the front drive shaft prior to anything else. If it has not been done when it brakes, and lots of them do, it will take your tranny with it.
I plan on ordering a new front drive shaft this week, any particular brand/website you suggest? I saw one listed at... bputah.com for $450.

Thanks everyone for the advice, will do as much of it as I can.

Anything else I should order???? We bought this as a stone cold stock rig from a one owner that didn't do much to it.

...while Im at it, I should order all the parts and have it all done at once, and do some of the upgrades/maintenance myself. I have a limited schedule due to my work (I travel heavily for a living) So thanks in advance for the suggestions all!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
5th Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by vandev
that is classic... Great advice... Welcome to the short bus crew...
lmao!!!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Drifting
Talking

For the mileage on yours I don't think I would order a complete front driveshaft. I would save the $450 and have yours rebuilt. From what I can tell just having the u-joints replaced with some good greaseable joints and then grease them every oil change and you will have no problems.
Then with the $450 order a OME 2" lift kit and a set of 33" BFG's.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Replacement driveshaft, $307 shipped. I know a few folks locally using them with good results.

Replacement drive shaft

Quick Reply: Just bought our first DISCO... Now What?!