Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just inherited a Disco , Little scared about maintenence.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just inherited a Disco , Little scared about maintenence.

Hi. I just inherited a Discovery 2004 ( 2003 in the US ) I have been reading your forums and are concerned about british car reliability.
Hi maintenence costs since I dont know much about mechanics. I have been thinking about keeping the car since my grandfather loved his disco and land rovers in general so much.

Car has 70,000 miles aprox.

In Mexico we have very bad roads in the city and feel like the suspension is very hard and at times even dangerous. Is there any way I can make it any smoother or softer?

PD sorry about spelling.

Thanks.

Javier

Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Just inherited a Disco , Little scared about maintenence.

If you are at all interested in owning one, it sounds like that is the one for you. If your grandfather really loved it, then it's a good bet that he took good care of it. That really seems to be the important thing with these vehicles. It's hard to find a used vehicle that you know the history on. You've got to remember that almost everybody posts on here only because they have problems and a lot of people use these forums to fix them, there's thousands of other land rovers out there with no problems too. Still, if your not good with mechanics that's a tough call... it could end up being frustrating too and it is getting up there in mileage. I'd say that if you can handle the basic maintenance, go for it.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Mudding

I was scared when I got my first Disco 2, and for the stiffer ride, get used to that if you have the 18" wheels, my 01 rides like a stiff truck where my wife's 95 rides much nicer like her former 300 SE MB. Two reasons hers has the 16" wheels and a different suspension.However you will like the improved suspension going down a 12-20% gravel washboard road especially towing a trailer, it will not get away from you. Regular maintenance is important and I agree with the previous person, if you can handle the basic maintenance, go for it.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Mudding

I have had no problems with mine i have had it for about 6 months.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, first of all, is it a 03 or an 04, this makes a huge difference? Look on the insdie of the drivers door jam and see what the production date is and let us know. Tou can also tell by the transfer case shifter, if the shift indicator say High, Neutral and Low then it is an 04, if it says High Neutral, Low and High Lock and Low Lock, then it is an 04.
The fix for the harsh ride is to replace the shocks and possibly the coil springs, this will make for a much smoother ride.
So to hear about your grand father passing away, but you have acquired a geart vehicle.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for Your reply ...
It is defenetly a 2003 .. I Think I will Keep it. I realy like it and at least for some time It will be like ouning something of his , he was a Bull Breader and spent hours on his LR. he couldnt ride ( Horse ) anymore because of back problems. He loved to climb on the roof of the car with a lot of help because he was very fat (installed the back ladder) and stared at his bulls with some binoculars wile listening to flamenco music, I recall the loud volume he was also pretty deff but great quality sound. he also had other cars witch he inherited to my brothers but for some reazon he left me his LR and I intend to find out why.

I will contact my local Dealer ( Only 1 in Mexico City ) and ask them about the Socks and coil springs.
He really took care of his car in the same way he would take care of his horse ... I Think it was like a work tool for him I Have to scan some pictures of him and as soon as I have them I will send you some.

Thank You.

Javier
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't buy shock from the dealer, too expensive and not very good. When you get ready to buy them, consider Old Man Emu which can be ordered on line