Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered my OME shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just ordered my OME shocks and springs

So I placed my order for OME HD shocks and medium duty springs. It turns out Lucky 8 is in Cheektawaga, NY close to where I teach so I am going to pick them up on Tuesday. I can't wait to get new shocks in this saggy old girl.

My question is do I need more than the rover jack that came with the truck to do the install? Does that jack give enough lift to get the old springs off and the new ones on?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
So I placed my order for OME HD shocks and medium duty springs. It turns out Lucky 8 is in Cheektawaga, NY close to where I teach so I am going to pick them up on Tuesday. I can't wait to get new shocks in this saggy old girl.

My question is do I need more than the rover jack that came with the truck to do the install? Does that jack give enough lift to get the old springs off and the new ones on?
This should do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkz0NTMFeYY

I can't wait to order my OME kit.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Why medium springs and HD shocks? Just curious your reasoning.

You really need a floor jack and at least one set of jack stands to change out the springs. You need to be able to support the frame and let the axle drop as much as possible to get them in and out.

I must have ordered the wrong kit when I got my OME stuff. Mine didn't come with the hot blonde to help with the install.

Last edited by AK Rover; 08-02-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is that video relevant to the DI as well, can you pull the fronts out of the engine bay??

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ak rover
i must have ordered the wrong kit when i got my ome stuff. Mine didn't come with the hot blonde to help with the install.

hahaha

Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Why medium springs and HD shocks? Just curious your reasoning.

You really need a floor jack and at least one set of jack stands to change out the springs. You need to be able to support the frame and let the axle drop as much as possible to get them in and out.

I must have ordered the wrong kit when I got my OME stuff. Mine didn't come with the hot blonde to help with the install.
Well everyone (including luck 8) recommended getting the HD shocks with the medium springs if I am not using a winch or putting a bunch of weight on the truck.

I have 4 jack stands and can borrow jacks. Do I need one that goes higher than the OE jack?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by llPANCHOll
So is that video relevant to the DI as well, can you pull the fronts out of the engine bay??
The D1 is pretty much the same as what they show. You'll need to unbolt the shock towers up front and remove them through the engine bay but the springs come out the same way as the rear. Disconnecting the sway bars really increases how much the axle will drop and makes getting the springs out and in a lot easier.

I have 4 jack stands and can borrow jacks. Do I need one that goes higher than the OE jack?
I have never used my stock jack so I don't know how high it will go. I will say that IMO a floor jack is a lot easier to deal with. You need to jack the truck up high enough and put the jack stands under the frame so that once you remove the tires the axles will drop as far as possible.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
TReK

I think I got it worked out I borrowed a nice floor jack, 2 tall jack stands and the land rover canister jack. I will use the canister jack to put on top of the axle and jack up the frame to install the springs (like on the lucky 8 how to video). I will do one axle at a time with the jack stands.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 AM
TReK

I started on the front axle then did the rear when I installed my lift. Took me about 10 hours working alone in my garage.