Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 2000 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011 | 09:54 PM
|
4wd High
Default Just picked up a 2000 Disco

Today I got a 2000 Disco with 99K miles. The truck is in pretty good shape and runs well. The engine is strong and the tranny seems to hit all shift points with no problems.

The trans. temp. light did come on while driving home so that is a concern at this point.

The board seems to be full of knowledgeable people so I am sure whatever it is I will get the needed help.

Old 05-19-2011 | 10:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default hold your breath..

i dont know if you have kids but if you dont ..you will need to setup a LR fund..much like your collage fund for your new child.... And i can tell you it wont bring the same enjoyment you will recieve from your real children as ...well that is if your ever thought of choking your child when he was acting up...

Old 05-19-2011 | 11:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Take care of the tranny ASAP, Rover trannies are big bucks! At close to 100K, it is probably overdue for tranny service. Check out instructions for change of fluid. It is not bad, just a little different than most vehicles you may have known. Like no dipstick, and you have to fill it with a pump from under the D2.

These guys are good, just provide details, pics, and do not shy away from getting dirty with your D2

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 05-19-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2011 | 05:57 AM
Baja

if you just got the truck today bring it back, make them have the trannys serviced.
at least get 100 bucks for the tranny change from them.

Last edited by drowssap; 05-20-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2011 | 07:16 AM
Winching

x2 change the transmission fluid. It's not hard.

Old 05-20-2011 | 07:49 AM
Administrator

The light can be from the tranny or the t/case, either way that truck needs to have a major done on it to bring it current. I would suggest you follow my major service list at the top of this section, do it all and don't have a shop do it, you do it, we will help, and you will learn what makes your truck tick.

Old 05-20-2011 | 08:05 AM
Winching

I recommend the big metal can of gojo hand cleaner, not the little tub you get at pep boys.

Old 05-20-2011 | 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Lol....

Originally Posted by photocrimes
I recommend the big metal can of gojo hand cleaner, not the little tub you get at pep boys.
Thats funny...I switched to Nitrile gloves ...there $10.00 for a box at harbor freight...Life savers..

Old 05-20-2011 | 04:47 PM
|
4wd High

I have the gloves and the hand cleaner ready to go.

A friend had a Disco and when I drove it I knew I had to have either that or a Range. The RR seemed to be a bit more for the same years so I "settled" on the truck I have now.

I have been told by a few people that LRs are money pits, but I plan on doing as much of my own service as I can so I will see. I have ZERO plans of taking it off roading. The roughest roads it will see are dirt roads when I'm back home.

That is one heck of a list and as crazy as it may sound I plan to complete the services before I make this truck my daily driver.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...service-29020/

Thanks

Old 05-20-2011 | 04:55 PM
Winching

Oh its not settling. Nothing else looks like a disco. It the only LR I ever wanted. Well, maybe a defender too. Everyone recognizes a discovery. I don't know how many times I've had friends describe it as "you know, that safari style truck" which is exactly what I love about it. Mine is also surprisingly reliable, but a work on it just for fun. I also have a 60 year old ex-military truck, so I'm used to lubing and greasing, inspecting all of the moving parts, etc... every weekend. So it stays well maintained. It runs like a champ, everything works, and I put about 60 miles a day on it and it has never let me down.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 2000 Disco