Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 2000 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011 | 09:15 PM
Winching

Yeah I was working on mine the other day out in the driveway.....neighbor walks up and we started talking about it....I told him how much it was worth, what I paid etc he was shocked....some people still think these trucks are with 30k haha

I agree nothing looks or rides like it. And they seem to look better with age, or maybe that is just me....

Welcome to the addiction Cubert

Old 05-24-2011 | 07:42 PM
|
4wd High

Got the truck home today and I wanted to see if the trans temp light came on with start up or after a drive. It didn't come on with start up so I drove it a little to see if it would come on again. Not only did that light come on after a few miles of (circling the block) driving, but the engine temp light also came on. OUCH!

I pulled in the drive way to see what was going on and the Dex was leaking out of the top of the over flow tank. The hoses were hard. Turning on the heat didn't help at all. My neighbor says he thinks the truck has a blown head gasket, but I'm thinking/hoping that it is the thermostat causing the truck to over heat. The truck ran well before it ran hot.

I am not too deep into this truck, but I would actually like to keep this one. I like the mileage and I think it is over all a good truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you look through the other pictures you will see that the oil pan was covered with oil and the cosmetic issues. When I get through this issue I will address those.
Name:  Photo0857.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  Photo0855.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  72.1 KB

Old 05-24-2011 | 07:43 PM
|
4wd High
Old 05-24-2011 | 08:06 PM
Winching

Looks like a new top hose, it's the updated one with the bleeder in the T and also looks like it still has the label on it. That would worry me in this case. Might of been changed out when he was trying to figure out why it was overheating. Also looks like it only has one service campaign badge on it which means it's probably missing a few unless they covered them all at the same time. Looks like the oil might be coming from the front seal as well as everywhere else ;-) Like I said, big can of gojo.

Old 05-24-2011 | 08:17 PM
Winching

You're going to need a thermostat anyway, so might as well put one in and see.

This is assuming you don't have a cooling system pressure tester, which would give you a pretty good presumptive test on the head gasket.

Old 05-24-2011 | 08:26 PM
Winching

PS, bet your cruise control doesn't work either ;-)

Old 05-24-2011 | 08:57 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by photocrimes
PS, bet your cruise control doesn't work either ;-)
lol. Nice catch.

Old 05-24-2011 | 09:40 PM
|
4wd High

I plan to see whats what this weekend. If it is confirmed to be a head I will probably see if I can quick sale it for about 2K.

Old 05-25-2011 | 04:23 PM
|
4wd High

Today I talked to the guy that serviced the truck at the local dealership. He told me that it was at a shop that replaced the head gaskets after that job the truck was still over heating so that shop brought it into the dealership. When it was brought there they changed the t-stat, hoses, rad, water pump and flushed the system. The guy at the dealership says that there has to be an internal blockage somewhere in the motor because it was full of stop leak when it was brought there. He says at that time he advised the customer to do a motor swap. I was told by him that they have over 20 hours in the truck. He says if it were his he would put a used motor in.

Thoughts?

Old 05-25-2011 | 05:12 PM
Winching

With that info I think you may have a cracked block or slipped sleeve. Sorry man. Pull the plugs and borescope the cylinders. See if any are steam cleaned. Maybe it was a bad head gasket job.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 2000 Disco