Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Purchased Used Disco with Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Purchased Used Disco with Problems

I purchased a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II with 175,000 miles on it. It was purchased with a few issues that I will take care of. The three lights are on (ABS, TC and the picture of the vehicle going downhill with a ! symbol). The prior owner informed me that when the Land Rover dealer diagnosedthe problem,it will need a new left rearhub assembly with bearing and ABS sensor. I'll purchase this setup through roverparts.com at a cost of $350.00 and do it myself.

Once it is changed out, how does one go about resetting the codes? In addition, the blower fans for the heat and a/c do not come on. I noticed a blown fuse under the hood and replaced it. The fans came on for a brief moment and the fuse blew. The prior owner also informed me that the Land Rover dealer claimed it needed a new fuse box estimated at $425.00 to cure the problem. Is this common? All the other fuses were not blown andaccessories work as they should. It's almost tempting to run a new wire directly to fuse box near the drivers area and wire in a 30A fuse. I used a paper clip and jumped the two terminals and the fans worked fine. Hmmm!

Thanks and I look forward to any input one may have.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Just Purchased Used Disco with Problems

Take out the paper clip or you run the risk of burning up your truck. You will have to find where the short is before you can go on. If the short is in your fuse box, you can get a good used one at www.roverlandparts.comYou can also get a good used hub there for under $200....

The codes have to be reset by someone with a rover compatible scanner. Find an indy shop near you. It will cost you about $100 at the dealer to have it reset..

Old 12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had the same 3 lights come onour 2001 SE7. Actually it appears to be common on the Series II. The local shop connected their scanner, told us what was wrong and reset the codes for $110. We went away and fixed the problems. The lights have not come back on. BTW, the ABS light after a brake jobfor us has meant thatthe sensor was moved a little and just needs to be realigned in case you run into that.

Can't help with theelectrical problem. Have not had any....yet.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The old paperclip trick makes me cringe. Fuses are sized such that they blow before the wiring overheats and burns up. I picked up an old couple in an oldsmobile once as the fire department put out the last of the flames in their car. It was a total loss. Turns out the guy had folded up some tin foil and used it to replace a blown fuse.

It's more likely that the blower motor's bearings are weak and it requires more power to run it than the circuit supports, or that there is very high resistance in the wiring between the fuse and the blower motor.

Dave