Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

it just quit !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy it just quit !!

Hi Everyone....

My 2003 Disco just died in front of my house …. I drove home from work yesterday and it was fine.

Came out a few hours later to go some place, now it turns over but won’t catch. Do you have any ideas or things I should look at before I take it in to a shop?

Cheers'
Dave

Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

was the ck engine light on ? if so , any codes ?,
are you able to determine if you have fuel pressure and spark ?
get back to us

Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Pretty common issue with Disco engines. Assuming you have not taken out any fuses, then your crank sensor, which will rarely throw a code, has failed.
How mechanical are you?
If you are, test the lead for any sign of voltage when trying to start it or use a good scanner to verify a volt signal to the ECM.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Question So far ....

OK, I checked for spark by pulling a plug and I checked the Fuel Inertia Switch .... the codes I got are P0560 and P1536 and P1668.

One of the boots is shot so I'll need to put new wires in, how do you get to the distrib to do that? It's a 4.6 L engine ... it looks like I'l have to pull the intake plenum to get to the distrib ... is that the case?

Cheers'
Dave

Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Old 10-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Unhappy Well so far ....

Well so far ... I had it towed in to the service place here in town on the 6th and they thought it was the fuel pump too .... so they dropped in a new one and also said they fixed the broken air tube connector. I went in on the 13th to pick it up that night and got to the parking lot out front and tried to start it. NFG same thing ! So I told the guys that and they had a second look at it the next day and said the new pump was defective and they replaced it again.

Went and picked it up on Thrus the 15th and took it out of town early Friday morning, it started ok that morning, drove out of town on the highway and parked it for 4 hours and then drove back in to town at 11 AM and drove about 300 km for the day.

Went out this morning (SAT) to go someplace and it's dead again excatly the same thing that happened once when it died the first time and also when I went to get it the first time after the first repair and now again. So I gotta get it towed BACK to the dealership on Monday.

Do you guys think it was/is the fuel pump? Do you think there is something else I should tell the service place to look for?

If you have any ideas as to what else I should tell the service guys to look of it'd be helpful.

Cheers'
Dave

Old 10-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Three Wheeling

First off I don't think you have a distributor, I think you have coil packs. One maybe would be bad, but don't just go changing them test the plug to see if your getting spark, I also think you might have a loose connection or a faulty crank sensor because if you have fuel pressure, i.e. a simple check. Then its probably not getting spark. If it is getting spark and your getting fuel. then the timings off which means check the crank sensor for proper voltage. If the sensor looks damaged like the needles bent or missing see if anything came loose on the fly wheel, I.e. the exciter ring inside. Either way proceed with the first two steps first.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling

I think you should scroll back up the page and re-read what Disco Mike said!

PS...its not a Joke.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for crank sensor..

Old 10-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the crank sensor. It's about $80 at the dealer and 15 minutes to replace. I'd replace it even if it wasn't bad since they like to fail and will leave you stranded.

Quick Reply: it just quit !!