Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just recieved my first Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just recieved my first Disco!

I just recieved a "disco" (just learned that phrase 5 minutes ago). So this is how it went. Coming home from work in my 1999 Subaru Forester with 187,000 miles on it, the head gasket goes but I'm only 2 miles form home so we can make it, right? NO! It starts squealing and smoking and then sounds like I need the eject button from a Die Hard movie and it dies there. Great. Dead. I talk to the mechanic he says lots of money to fix and so many miles ect ect ect .... We have a tight budget as it is and don't want another payment. But for hahas we go to a dealership late at night and I postion myself next to this gorgeous gray 2008 Discovery oooh Hey Honey how about this one?? He laughs and says well if you like that your Dad has one rotting in his field at his place. Ok I had forgotten that when he moved to Alaska 3 years ago he had parked his 1996 Land Rover Discovery with 89,000 miles on it, in the field. My sister started it every now and then and was going to be selling it for him sometime. Well I called dear Dad and gave my sad story and threw in "so what 's up with the Discovery?" Oh it ran great when I parked it you can borrow it if you need to but I have no gaurantee of whether it will run or not. Ok Thanks I'll check it out. So he sends the title andmy husband and I take a ride there (1.5 hrs) My sister and her friend have the chargeron it when we get there and it Starts right up. Dies and then starts again. WOW I can't even believe this. This truck has been sitting for 3 years and we slapped a battery in it and drove an hour and a half home. Absolutly Amazing. Needless to say I love it. [sm=smiley27.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]It is registered and drives likeit was made for me. I tookour older dog who seemed to have trouble getting into the subaru out to it to go for a ride and he jumps in like a puppy. He loves it. I can tell I'm gonna have fun. I look forward to driving it and thank my Dad [sm=love.gif]for sharing and God for providing.I look forward to reading posts late at night and early in the morning.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Just recieved my first Disco!

Congrats on the Disco you're going to be very happy. If you have any questions about anything there are alot of smart people on this board.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good year for the Disco's [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do a search for the 60K service on here. If it has been sitting for that long, you should go through the truck so you don't have any suprises. A new set of plugs and wires might be in order too. When you get ready, just shout W can walk you through doing most of what you need to.

Congrats on your new find!

PS- These things won't take an overheat. If it gets hot, pull over....

Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally, Rovers don't like to be parked for long periods of time. There's tons of things that will need to be attended to, one by one if you like, while the vehicle is driveable. But it is imperative that you start now, before it craps on you like your Subaru did. And believe me that it will if you don't.

All fluids should be changed. Engine, transmission, t-case, axles and brakes. Coolant should be flushed and renewed. You can start with that.

Then I would address the driveshafts u-joints, and the ignition. wires, plugs and the likes.

Remember that you absolutely have to monitor the engine oil and coolant levels at least on a weekly basis, and even more often in the beginning. Rovers are also prone to develop head gasket problems.

Enjoy and remember to come back often.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Darover

Normally, Rovers don't like to be parked for long periods of time. There's tons of things that will need to be attended to, one by one if you like, while the vehicle is driveable. But it is imperative that you start now, before it craps on you like your Subaru did. And believe me that it will if you don't.

All fluids should be changed. Engine, transmission, t-case, axles and brakes. Coolant should be flushed and renewed. You can start with that.

Then I would address the driveshafts u-joints, and the ignition. wires, plugs and the likes.

Remember that you absolutely have to monitor the engine oil and coolant levels at least on a weekly basis, and even more often in the beginning. Rovers are also prone to develop head gasket problems.

Enjoy and remember to come back often.
I'd also change every gasket possible. They dry rott quickly when sitting.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks to everyone. All seems good so far. I will be going through these tips of things to do on my new rover. Thanks and great posts throughout. I love the site.
Brenda

Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SemperPieMom

Bravo Zulu on your addition of a Discovery. I have my first as well and I know how you feel when you say it was made for you to drive it.

Well done and make sure you heed the advice here on the fourms. The people here , myself not included, have massive amounts of correct information and hands on knowledge.

TTech870

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 PM
4th Gear

i have a question, is changing all the fluids a simple task or does it take more skills?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Marcus3600

i have a question, is changing all the fluids a simple task or does it take more skills?
The axles, transmission and engine oil are all straight forward and easy to do. The coolant is a pain because there is no drain plug.
The transfer case is hard to put new fluid in because the fill plug is between the t-case and the parking brake drum. Unless you have a pump it is near impossible to get the fluid back in.
But the rest are as simple as pulling the drain plug out and then refilling it.
I let the quick lube to my t-case and they charged me like $20, I did the rest.

You guys know that you MUST use premium gas, right?