Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a thought - spray protectant for SLS suspension airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Just a thought - spray protectant for SLS suspension airbags?

I've been having some weird issues with my SLS suspension lately, where I'll walk out to my car and discover that it's sitting on the bump stops!

It's even more odd because the system is disconnected right now, and the airbag lines run to a "tee" then to a schrader valve on the hitch plate. It's either the valve, or a leaking airbag. I didn't rig the system this way - the previous owner did (and I didn't discover it till later) but I've got the parts in for an aftermarket HD compressor retrofit (actually I leave all the SLS stuff in place, and just add a "tee" with 1/8" push-in fittings on either side and a 1/4" push-in on top. This way I can splice into the line going into the OEM compressor and run the 1/4" line to the new one - unplug the OEM and connect the wires to the new one (this way all the solenoid valves still work like before, including the one that's attached to the old compressor that lets the air out).

I have a little 12V compressor, so I just filled it up and went on my way AND it's held air perfectly fine for a few days now.. so it's probably a screwy schrader valve.

Anyways I'm off topic! I've read that winter can cause the airbags to crack, which usually leaves the vehicle looking like mine did when I walked outside the other day. Even though I suspect a scrader valve issue, I'd like to do what I can to take care of the original airbags.

Since the rubber is prone to fail due to external conditions such as cold temperatures, which cause the material to crack.. wouldn't it help if I sprayed some kind of protectant, grease or rubber preservative onto the airbags?