Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tc, abs, hdc lights on; Pull to the left on braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tc, abs, hdc lights on; Pull to the left on braking

Hello all,
The other day my 1999 landrover discovery II brakes started acting up. the first day the car started veering to the left when braking. The next day the traction control, abs and hill descent control lights came on. They have been on for about a week now. There is barely any pedal when braking and it seems like only a few of the brakes are working. I have looked at and felt the rotors and they are a little worn down but show no evidence of metal on metal. If any one has any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lights are nicknamed the "3 Amigos" there are about a million threads and posts in regards to issues and specific fixes. Start with a search to see if anyone has had a similar problems as the amigos could mean a number of things.

Maybe a simple question but is there brake fluid in the reservoir?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

do you have any brake fluid in the resovoir? you need an ABS scanner to read the ABS codes to see what is wrong. my guess is two fold, you are low on brake fluid and your rear right abs sensor is shot. that is just a guess, check you fluid and get the abs codes read or buy a reader of your own as it will cost the same.

Last edited by hilltoppersx; 02-09-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: made no sense. spelling mistake
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 PM
7th Gear

Do you know what type of abs code reader I need to use? Do I need to go to the LR dealer? Or can I use a obd II reader?
Also, I know that there are a lot of posts about the "three amigos" but I can't seem to find any that talk about the problem I am having with the pulling when I brake.
Thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have a problem with your brakes. Don't just feel the rotors, pull the wheels and look at the pads. Check fo runeven wear. I will bet you have a caliper sticking or air in the lines. The uneven braking could be causing your faults. Then again, it could be a bad sensor engaging the ABS and making it fell like you have no brakes.

Whatever it is, you have a pretty serious problem. The codes can be read by the dealer or any Rover shop. An OBDII scanner will not read them. A few members have bought the ABS Amigo which was made to read Land ROver ABS codes relatively inexpensively. Do a search on here and you may find someone close to you that will read them for a small fee

Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM
7th Gear

So I got the codes read and it came back saying that there was an error with the shutter valve. The guy said that it was about a $1,000 dollar fix. But that it shouldn't have anything to do with the braking problem I am having. Just that the abs and tc wouldn't work. I'm going to pop the wheels off tomorrow and see what they look like. Also, I have heard that brake systems have have a system where if one brake line goes, the system will shut if off so all of the fluid does not drain and cause total brake failure. Anyone know if something like this is happening?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by forzabarca
So I got the codes read and it came back saying that there was an error with the shutter valve. The guy said that it was about a $1,000 dollar fix.
I bet the guy didn't know this fix and I'm also willing to bet it is a lot less than a grand to fix: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26847

Old 02-13-2010, 07:52 PM
7th Gear

So. I got in there today. checked the pads and everything. They looked fine besides the fact that the rotors are pretty worn. Bled the brakes and it seemed to fix the problem. No lights on so far. But I havent been able to test the abs yet. Must have ran out of brake fluid or something. Maybe the shutter valve reacted to that and shut off the back brakes. Dont really know but I am quite happy today. $6.99 for brake fluid. Thanks for all your help. If the three amigos show up again I will follow that procedure mwindth posted.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's actually called the "Shuttle Valve" and you have to wonder where the brake fluid went....