Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just when i thought i could relax....more codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just when i thought i could relax....more codes

So I literrally just got done with a CEL issue, and it hadn't been off for more than one day, when it came back on. (I just recently was getting misfire codes, and replaced plugs with +4 and magnecor wires), fixed the problem. So thinking that it was probably another misfire code, i took it up to have the codes read. I got two:
p1179 (fuel air metering)
p1179 pending (fuel air metering)

I've looked up some older posts, and can't seem to find a definite starting point (it's never that easy,lol) and i found that this code usually accompanied other codes having to do with the O2 sensors being either too lean or rich, and also rough idling or some other problem. I only have the one, and my disco has been running great since i put in the magnecor wires.

Been a pretty interesting month with my disco so far, the check engine lights, along with the broken brake light switch; I just hope she's not just warming up on me with small things, and getting ready to really do me in,lol. (By the way, when i ordered the brake light switch from advanced auto parts, they gave me a part that looked nothing like the one i took out, so i went home, looked it up on their website, where i saw a picture of the part that was an exact match, and went back to try again. Turns out, they have the brake light switch i needed as for Discos with a manual transmission?? and the one i previously ordered for automatic transmissions.(mine is automatic) I ordered it anyway.

98 discovery
140000 miles

Last edited by herblatham; 01-26-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you ever replaced your O2 sensors? Your truck is just now burning right with the new plugs, so now it is relying on the O2's. I ordered the same switch, and it is only part of it. There are 2 actual switches, one for the light and one for the cruise vacuum.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Mudding

No, i have yet to replace the o2 sensors...ugh. well i guess it couldn't have happened at a more opportune time, just got my federal tax return,lol. Is this something relatively easy to do yourself, or is taking my disco to the dealership the better idea? Thanks

Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Mudding

How do i know if my disco came with AEL? I'm looking at o2 sensors online, wanna makes sure i know which ones to get.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy

You have AEL. they switched mid-97. ATB has a pic of the emissions sticker under the hood to look for.

The AMFR Fault you have could also be caused by an exhaust leak. I had it show up when I had a leak on my passenger side. Then again, I had 140K on my O2's as well. I fixed the leak and replaced all 4 sensors. If you don't have a noticable leak, just replace the sensors. You will get a kick in MPG after you do..

Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

also try replacing the air filter. not sure if you just purchased the vehicle but if you don't use the paper type air filter the K&N filter restricts too much air flow and can also throw the 1179, how many miles have you driven with the new plugs and wires? im curious to see if you are going to throw O2 codes again with the 1179.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
also try replacing the air filter. not sure if you just purchased the vehicle but if you don't use the paper type air filter the K&N filter restricts too much air flow and can also throw the 1179, how many miles have you driven with the new plugs and wires? im curious to see if you are going to throw O2 codes again with the 1179.
I am not a fan of the K&N, but how do you figure it restricts air flow over factory paper filters?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Mudding

I've had the disco for some time now, I've been using the K&N air filter, heard on here that it doesn't hurt the I series, on a side note though, i did re oil it 2 thousand miles earlier, I most likely (like i do with everything) used way too much oil, and you may be right about it restricting the air flow, so i'll go replace with regular paper filter as well, and see if that helps

I've driven probably 300 miles or less on the new plugs and wires

Last edited by herblatham; 01-27-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
I am not a fan of the K&N, but how do you figure it restricts air flow over factory paper filters?
you are right it doesn't. it was a total lie. thats what i get for trying to read and post quick replies @ work. it actually does the complete opposite and lets too much in. screwin with the MAF

Last edited by hilltoppersx; 01-27-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: @
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM

needless to say I don't think its the O2's if anything there could be something wrong on the fuel end of things. but i say try the cheapest fix first with an paper air filter and you can always hold on to the K&N and put it back in it the paper doesnt solve the issue

Quick Reply: Just when i thought i could relax....more codes