Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just when i thought i could relax....more codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you have too much air or to little air.

you need to smoke test the vehicle for leaks. common places are pcv hoses and the one and only vacuum hose to the fuel rail.

and no its not an oxygen sensor problem. Trust me I fix them all damn day.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 om the vacuum hose to the fuel rail.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i took out the K&N filter to replace with a paper filter, i could def. see i put to much oil on it, stuck in the paper filter, erased the code, and it hasn't come back yet.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

well i'm not always right... so i say make sure you drive it at least another drive cycle or two before you lay it to rest.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Mudding

you were right hilltoppersx, The check engine light came back on with the same codes. I have the new o2 sensors, was planning on replacing them anyway, because my gas mileage recently started sucking. So when i do that today, I'll check the pcv hoses and the hose to the fuel rail. I know that the oil separator is completely clogged and i've been trying to figure out how i'm gonna get it out, I've already broke off some of it trying to get it out. Could that blockage be the reason behind the code? Why would it 10 days for it to come back?

Once I do get the oil separator out, is there an alternative i could use, because i don't want to have to deal with trying to get it out and cleaning it again, only to have it break again.. maybe something like this pic

Also, how do i Smoke test the vehicle?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Just when i thought i could relax....more codes-pcv_valve_1.jpg  

Last edited by herblatham; 02-09-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With emissions, you have to hit the right drive cycle-acceleration and mph combination. It probably just didn't hit the right cycle for 10 days.

If you check the separator every once in a while, it won't get that bad or be so hard to remove. I usually check mine when I change the oil. It was terrible at first and I destroyed it. It hasn't been that bad since. Just remember to let all of the cleaner dry before firing it up or you will suck carb cleaner into the hose. Those hoses don't like carb cleaner.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Mudding

i figure it probably be better to go with another oil separator then, just ordered it... I just hate having to sit and wait for almost every part that i need to get for my disco. I'm not a very patient person. If I don't get it before friday, do you thing i would be safe to drive home (4 hours) and fix it once i get back?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Camel Trophy

That is why I usually just go to the dealer and get parts. When you add shipping they are usually pretty close. They usually mark stuff down for me, and I get it right then...

I would think you would be ok and not suck too much oil in, but you could always just put a filter where it goes into the intake (they have little cone ones that will fit) and leave the VC open.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Mudding

Would i be ok to drive it if i left the clogged oil separator in?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Camel Trophy

The system will build pressure and could cause an oil leak. It should be ok since the LH cover has a vent, but I was in this same situation facing a 5 hour drive home. I pulled the old separator and put a filter on the intake just for piece of mind. It was $5. I would say it will be ok, but I would hate to tell you yes and something happen.

I put a post on here about cutting my resonator off. Someone with a D2 saw it and cut his off. On a D2 the pipe shoots exhaust right on the bumper light and his fell out on the highway. I felt bad about it, but figured people should do stuff at their own risk. He kinda blamed me for it falling out. I felt bad, but hey, if you don't know enough to turn down your exhaust... Just saying I am leery of giving advice on something that may cause a problem.

Quick Reply: Just when i thought i could relax....more codes