Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keep and fix/part out a "total loss" 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep and fix/part out a "total loss" 2004?

I posted the "loss control on snow/ice" thread a few days back. Thanks for all the responses. I do wish I would have taken video! I should have, using my cell phone, but the situation was just too crazy considering people were crashing every few minutes and drivers were scrambling to get insurance info so they could get the hell outta there!

Insurance has declared her a total loss- bummer. The main reason for the total loss is they think there's frame damage since the hood seems a little out of alignment, as well as the driver's side passenger door tho both very slight (I hit on the passenger side rear corner.) However the truck still steers fine, tracks well and dosent seem to be out of alignment. They also quoted 10k in body work. I know I can get it done cheaper tho, especially if I have a better priced shop rework and bondo the damaged rear quarter panel and bent rear hatch hinges instead of full replacement (can this be done with aluminum?) I also need a new rear bumper. But then there's the poss. frame damage- if it really is outta whack then is the vehicle unsafe to drive?

I'm thinking they may say keep it for 2k or less, and give me the value difference by check. If I can really get it for 2k (its a well maintained Giverny Green '04 SE7 w/ 80k miles) should I? Or maybe just part it out for the good folks on this forum?

I really liked it except for maybe the poor mpg (was only getting about 10mpg in town, partly due to my leadfoot and also to poss. needing to clean or buy new o2 sensors since I just did new Magnacor wires and plugs) However I'm also open to an LR3, or maybe even something like an H3 or 2008 Jeep Liberty or Toyota Landcruiser. However $ is an issue- I probably can't spend over 15k even after my insurance payout.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I highly doubt the frame is bent, unless a frame shop has looked at it and said yes the frame is bent I would say it is not.
It is not a unibody truck, it is a body on frame truck so just because a fender got knocked out of whack doesnt really mean squat.
Buy it back for $2,000.
Spend another $2,000 to fix it and you have your truck back.
Keep in mind that it will forever and always have a totaled title and thus the resale value will be less forever and always.
If you think the Disco had poor MPG own a H3.
A Liberty is not even in the same league as a DII, Land Cruiser or H3.
The H3 isint even in the same ball park as the DII or Land Cruiser.

Start pricing parts.
www.roverlandparts.com
www.roversnorth.com
A fender and door you can swap out yourself.
A bumper too.
A rear quarter panel is a different story, but a good shop can weld the new one in for you, even aluminum.
Then have the whole thing painted the color of your choice.

Oh yeah, and buy better tires.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want your CDL Linkage, so go part it out!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Mudding

I'm thinking the same- frame not bent, D2's are built like tanks. I hit the Dodge's rear end at maybe 30 mph and my rear bumper bore most of the impact- how bad could it be? I guess there was a pretty good BANG! and it was enough to press the quarter panel into the rear hatch door, bending the hinges and making the door creak a little when opening but it still clears. A little worried about that passenger door on the opposite side seeming a little outta alignment though. I don't know the physics of aluminum but I guess the impact could have sent enough of a shockwave through the entire body resulting in the whole deal twisting a bit?

Question- can aluminum be reworked with bondo or similar or is the only course of action a complete panel replacement, and maybe a new rear door?

Anyways she drives well still so... Good point about the new salvage title I'll get- I can forget resale value, especially if the title states there was frame damage. Rule of thumb states value drops 50%, and you immediately scare off 75% or more of the buying public.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will have to talk to a body shop.
In fact if you are in possestion of the truck I would take it to a body shop first thing Mon.
Let them do a estimate, talk to them about replacing things with used parts etc. and see what they say.
And dont forget you can get several opinions from different shops.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Mudding

The Jeep Liberty is nothing compared to the D2? Even with their off road pkg that includes diff lock?
How about the new Toyota Landcruiser? Has anyone done comparisons?
Not hating on LR's, I'm just somewhat poor so might be time to get into lower cost of maintenance rides, especially considering my '04 has over 80k miles and higher mileage problems are imminent- at least a head gasket, valve cover gaskets, and I'm sure other often fail stuff like cats and? I'm already dealing with two leaking rear hubs or leaking axle not sure, leaking valve cover gaskets (I did tighten them down per DiscoMike's sugg.), misfire codes, a partially broken pass side window regulator, dead drivers side door lock actuator, and super loud sunroof mechanisms. I think that covers it, and all told not too bad, I've been really impressed for the three years 20k miles that I've owned it- I've only done brakes (all new EBC pads and rotors) and Magnacor wires and NGK Iridium plugs. I just worry about things to come...

Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

THE JEEP LIBERTY IS A JOKE. if you are considering a toyota get an FJ not a landcruiser. personally i would keep the disco and with all that money you can fix the body panels get steel bumpers and some new tires and be on your way with cash to spare

Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Mudding

Thanks. Actually I had meant the FJ- new Landcruisers are crazy expensive. Even the new FJ is hard to find below 20k. I like "mid-size" SUV's better too.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I want your linkage for cheap, I would keep ol' thirsty yourself. Most likely you can buy it back, you can get parts cheap enough to come out ahead. Re-sale aside, what will it cost you to get a nice FJ or Liberty or Prius? You will have a hard time dollar for dollar. If you did enjoy the discovery then stay in it till death do you part. Besides, if it hit that hard and you were OK, then you owe it this truck to show some love!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

tsuami1, get the payout but don't let them total the truck, since you are keeping it, they will probably just pay you the repair/damage estimate and leave it at that. Insist that they don't total it. It may take some arguing, but don't let them total it, they don't have to. There are dozens of wrecked DIIs here in San Diego with all the parts that you are looking for. Send me a pm and I can steer you in the right direction. By the way, just how to you get in an ice related accident in Redondo Beach? all the best. Phil

Quick Reply: keep and fix/part out a "total loss" 2004?