Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping score... SLS:1 ME:0

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Keeping score... SLS:1 ME:0

First off, I hear all of you screaming "just convert to coils and be done with it, moron!". Secondly, screw you, even though you are probably right! I've committed to the SLS now, so I will go down swinging. (this is my wife's ride and a pavement queen and its a nice system WHEN working properly, of course)

I need help diagnosing! Just replaced both bags with Arnott's this weekend. No leakage of air once re-inflated after install. The bags deflate, and I believe each time 1 side is slightly lower than the other (meaning 1 side pretty much on bump stops while other just higher, maybe an inch). It seems that the compressor isn't "told" to re-inflate or send more air to the bags other than upon initial start-up after rover has been off for multiple hours. If they are deflated and the car has been run recently, the compressor won't come on upon start-up to re-inflate. (yes, all 5 doors must be shut with car on and still nothing). So I believe it must be something electrical or possibly sensors not telling it to level.

Possible origins of error:
SLABS ECU - very possible. How/what can I check?
air supply unit (compressor) - doubtful, when ran, it inflates bags with ease.
air springs - hopefully not, just replaced both sides this weekend
height sensors - heard they don't fail, only break? Both were in tact.
air inlet filter - not sure how this could cause errors, but should probably service it anyways.
wiring - I could have some bad wiring, damaged wires, or something?

I will double check my work on the new air springs to be sure (1st time doing anything suspension related) that I tightened the nut connecting the air supply line enough and that they aren't leaking, but from what I could tell, they held the air just fine when I re-inflated after install with the tires still off, no visible or audible air leaks. I don't want to throw parts/money at it and can take the time to find out what's wrong.

I DO need to be told or reminded of the basic, dummy stuff to check first. So all input, experience, and *educated* guesses are appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too, just a little different.

My warning light illuminates, the bags deflated, and the compressor no longer runs ever. I did bypass the relay and the compressor fired up. So, I thought it was the relay. Changed the relay, no change. So, the relay is not getting signal to run the compressor. I thought I could simply bypass the relay to get the bags full and then drive it, but the bags won't fill. Almost like a normally closed system has an open somewhere. Possibly valve block is stuck open? Need advise as well. Please.