Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key 12v On & Starter Solenoid Wire Color?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key 12v On & Starter Solenoid Wire Color?

Hey guys I broke my 12v probe and I ordered another but I'm impatient. 99 D2.

I have a custom 4 fan and new fan controller setup. I need to patch it to a 12v on when the key is turned and off when it is not. What color wire near the ignition swtich/key can I splice into for that?

Also looking for the starter solenoid wire color in that same so I can put a kill switch in.

Muchos gracias for anyone who has the info, not a pro with wiring diagrams so that is why Im noting it before someone sends me a diagram.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Most people find the vehicle alarm system is more than adequate at immobilzation of the truck.

If you wish to start modification to the wire harness, I would suggest adding in-line fuses to prevent an under hood fire.

As far as don't need a wiring diagram, that would be a mistake. The D2 has a color coded road map of a wairing diagram, very easy to understand. It is part of the RAVE download (Rover Automated Viewing Environment) aka Rover's A'int Very Economical.

There on page 42 of 126 in the circuits guide you would find that brown/orange from underhood box connector 571- pin 2 heads to the solenoid, but of interest will be 573-7 which is black & orange, it connects starter relay to the Body Control Module, which grounds that point to energize starter relay. It will be much less current than the solenoid.

If fan is for underhood, the same fuse and relay box has 578-4, white & pink, it provides 12v to fuel pump. Use a small relay to switch power to fan array. No need to chew up cables under dash.

Now tell us more about the fan array and how you plan to use it.

And if you can read a road map, you can read a wiring diagram.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Most people find the vehicle alarm system is more than adequate at immobilzation of the truck.

Now tell us more about the fan array and how you plan to use it.
Well it seems there had been some tampering with the Rover in a previous life with my door lock which from the looks of it basically disarms the alarm in a pretty easy and worrisome way. There is some damage to make me believe a smart thief did a good job of researching land rover. I see the mechanics of what seems to have been tried and I believe an extra immobilization feature would be of great help. With the amount of time I have put into the the truck and all... (not to mention money). Color coded wiring diagram, looks right up my alley here looking at RAVE.

The fan array is basically a relay based independent adjustable fan controller with inline fuses installed already and an adjustment screw for temp. I 'assume' the old Radiator for LR had a probe inside for the fan temp, but when I bought her there were a lot of changes from stock due to one thing or another and that was disconnected. The condenser fan no longer operated and was very rusted. I do still have the block temp sensor and in fact that is new because I wanted ultragauge temps to be spot on. Even if it did operate as stock, I believe a 212 kick on doesn't suit my needs, especially if towing or traffic jams.

I have an all aluminum racing rad without that LR rad probe so the independent fan controller allows me to have aftermarket fans and allows me to set the kick on temps lower. It comes with fin probe, an AC signal wire, 12v power, ign 12v on signal, 2 dedicated fan wires, and your ground.

I'm basically on the step where I need that ign key turn 12v power on only with the key turned to send that signal to the relay then I can tune the temp for activation and I'm set. Seems like you had the right solution and I will try that route.