Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Blanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Blanks

When i first got my Disco I wanted an extra key (without chip) for it so, being new, I tried to find one and a way to have it cut, the LR stealer here doesn't cut keys. I'd never heard of AB so I ended up getting a blank from the stealer and finally got it - 6 weeks later. Anyways, everybody (locally) told me to go to a specific shop to have it cut (locksmith shop) because they are great. Took the key in, he cut it in like 2 minutes - while talking to him I said these LR key seem to be hard to get, to which he said what year is it - I say 04 - he looks in a book - turns to the shelves - pulls out a whole box and says here they are (no plastic on the end tho [>:]). I made the mistake of asking him how much, he said it's 3 bucks plus a cut fee of 3 bucks I was like WTF...he asked and I told him mine came from the stealer, he said put it in your pocket you've already paid enough for it. 3 bucks...no wait...I guess the bright side is I have a new key huh.

Sorry about the bla bla bla...

Robert

Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Key Blanks

i almost made the same mistake but i was going to order the one with the fob and they were charging $140 for the key so i went over to homedepot and paid $2.35 for everything its a spare so i dont care that i dosnt have the rubber

Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Three Wheeling

your local hardware store is the best place for key cutting, dont mess with the dealer unless you need the fey fob

Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling

All in all it was like 20 bucks however, lesson learned!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Key without the Rubber on it..
I even cut the loop of it off so it would fit in my money clip..

Money Clip = Cards and Cash wrapped with Hair Ties (rubberbands tear cash)

Its a second key, I have one on my keychain, but I dont like having a heavy keychain dangleing from ignition.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:15 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

funny you should bring up this topic, I just got back from ACE hardware and tried to get one cut. They didnt have the right blank, he said theres not enough demand and they have to order 250 at a time. He cut me one that was similar but it didnt work. I have tried home depot before and they didnt even want to try. I guess I will call around locksmiths and see if they have a blank. [:@]

Old 02-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: lrd2

i almost made the same mistake but i was going to order the one with the fob and they were charging $140 for the key so i went over to homedepot and paid $2.35 for everything its a spare so i dont care that i dosnt have the rubber
Consider yourself lucky. I went to Home Dept today in an attempt to get a new key. Three lady's spent five minutes poking through drawers before one says, "what kind of car is this for", I said, "its for a Land Rover, can't you read?" The lady then says, "is that model a Ford or a Chevy?"

Tomorrow I'm going to Tony's key shop....

Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Mudding

I went to Lowes and Home Depot, both had blanks available but said they couldn't cut, something about not having the right code, huh? I ordered a OEM blank from Ebay for $9.00 (I think) and had a locksmith cut a copy for $2.50. Works great, but no remote.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Sadly, not everybody at Lowe's is as enterprising as me. I cut my own spare from a Kia blank. Had to modify it with the bench grinder, but works like a charm. Just for future reference, our keys don't have codes, which they would have known had they made use of the nifty little code scanner that Hillman provides in every key cutting machine. This is how I found out that I could cut my own and it wouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Do make a normal key with no remote do I need to bring my registration or pink slip?

Can can I do it at lowes or home depot?

Quick Reply: Key Blanks