Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key is broken off in door

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key is broken off in door

Hi guys....

It's been a while....so long story short I sold my rover last year, today the guy I sold it to messaged me saying he broke the only key he had off in the door, he asked me what he should do....he called around and found out that he would have to have new locks and ignition put in and keys rep-programed at a cost of 2500$+ at the dealer......so I said I would buy it back for 1000$ ( I sold it to him for 4000$) ....now my question is has any one out there wired up a push button start or is there a way to make it so I can use a screw driver to start it? I saw a thread about using a metal shim to slide in beside the broken key to get it out....but I still need to unlock it to get inside!? Once I get the truck back I am going to make it strickly a bush truck so not to concerned about security after the fact .....thanks guys!!!

I am excited to get my girl back!!

Attached Thumbnails Key is broken off in door-img_20150215_163938.jpg  
Old 02-06-2016, 04:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

Any locksmith should be able to remove the broken key and supply a couple me ones by getting the code from Land Rover. That's what they do. I'm just guessing but that might cost $200.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Since the key is in the lock and therefore pressing the tumblers in the proper places, you should be able to turn the door lock with a small screwdriver and open the door. A shim alongside the shaft of the key coupled with a strong ceramic magnet (or really strong fingers, a pair of needlenose tweezers and a bit of luck) should get the shank of the key out of the door. Then you can order a couple of blank keys and have a locksmith cut replacements from the piece you pull out of the door.
That might all seem like a lot of hassle but it's likely to be far easier than messing with the security systems and the BCU to get it operational without an ignition key.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Can't the barrel be disconnected and removed from inside the door? would be easier to mess with, or give to a locksmith.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by cappedup
Can't the barrel be disconnected and removed from inside the door? would be easier to mess with, or give to a locksmith.
The key is broken off in the locked position.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mojigglins
The key is broken off in the locked position.

Ah. I would talk to someone who can supply a door glass, Abran, PaulG.

Get a replacement glass for the door the key is stuck, as you are taking the card off anyway.

Then find an old spark plug and break off the tiny ceramic bit around the point. Flick it at your window, remembering to film it.

Sorry I don't have a less destructive way of getting inside. This is of course after trying all the 'shims, and thin screwdrivers' business.

Edit. Dab of really good superglue (crazy glue) on the end of a thing? Pull the broken key blade straight out? Unless the barrel is partially turned.

Last edited by cappedup; 02-06-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I repeat -- a locksmith can get the truck unlocked without destroying anything. And also again ... not as much fun perhaps but a lot easier and faster, and likely less expensive.

Last edited by mln01; 02-06-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mln01
I repeat -- a locksmith can get the truck unlocked without destroying anything. And also again ... not as much fun perhaps but a lot easier and faster.
Totally agree, but at the moment the truck is in a location and isn't moving until it's open. Might be that a call out charge for a locksmith and relevant work done is less cost effective than a bit of glass and 1hr refitting.

Guess it depends on the location and the cost of getting a locksmith to it, then the minimum charge they want. But of course that's easier.

Last edited by cappedup; 02-06-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

You can get in the truck with $30 air wedge from Amazon and a 6 ft metal rod with a 90 degree bend 4 inches from one end. Slip the air wedge between the drivers door at the top of the window and hit the unlock button on the dash. I have done this. Takes 3 minutes top. Take the door card off and remove the door handle. You CAN Remove the cylinder and knock your key out and get a copy make. I have done this exact operation. It seriously takes a total of 30 mins.

DON'T BREAK YOUR DAMN WINDOW.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Frank4
You can get in the truck with $30 air wedge from Amazon and a 6 ft metal rod with a 90 degree bend 4 inches from one end. Slip the air wedge between the drivers door at the top of the window and hit the unlock button on the dash. I have done this. Takes 3 minutes top. Take the door card off and remove the door handle. You CAN Remove the cylinder and knock your key out and get a copy make. I have done this exact operation. It seriously takes a total of 30 mins.

DON'T BREAK YOUR DAMN WINDOW.

This is exactly the way I was going to get into it.....only problem is the one lock smith in town won't do car!!! .. Small town northern BC Canada........so I am trying g to figure out how to get it started and drive it home 6 hours away....and if I have to break the ignition I don't really care but would like to rig up a push button start for it as it will be a off road only rig as soon as I get it, which will be in the next month. Have to finish moving. I would throut it on a flat deck and tow it behind my uhaul but can't figure out hour to get it into neutral with out the key in the ignition.....so I'll just drive back up here in a few weeks deal with it....give me some time to figure out a plan....

Quick Reply: Key is broken off in door