Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key is broken off in door

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
You can get in the truck with $30 air wedge from Amazon and a 6 ft metal rod with a 90 degree bend 4 inches from one end. Slip the air wedge between the drivers door at the top of the window and hit the unlock button on the dash. I have done this. Takes 3 minutes top. Take the door card off and remove the door handle. You CAN Remove the cylinder and knock your key out and get a copy make. I have done this exact operation. It seriously takes a total of 30 mins.

DON'T BREAK YOUR DAMN WINDOW.
Dash button works without key in? Ha, learn something new every day.

NO NEED TO SHOUT.

Good luck OP.

Can it be towed with drive shafts removed. Is that essentially as neutral as it gets? Steering will be fun, getting it on a trailer etc.

Last edited by cappedup; 02-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Maybe I wasn't totally clear. You can get in the truck and take the door handle/lock assembly out and remove the lock cylinder and knock out the key. Take the key that you retrieved from the cylinder and get a couple of copies made. Take one of your new keys, fire it up and drive away.

No locksmith needed.

No new ignition needed.

No new locks need.

Take all the money you saved and rig up your push button thing.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Maybe I wasn't totally clear. You can get in the truck and take the door handle/lock assembly out and remove the lock cylinder and knock out the key. Take the key that you retrieved from the cylinder and get a couple of copies made. Take one of your new keys, fire it up and drive away.

No locksmith needed.

No new ignition needed.

No new locks need.

Take all the money you saved and rig up your push button thing.

So the guy that's got the truck I guess got a key made some how and got into the truck the new key got it started but there is still half a key in the door.....so I am happy I still get my truck back at steal of a deal ......

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojigglins
So the guy that's got the truck I guess got a key made some how and got into the truck the new key got it started but there is still half a key in the door.....so I am happy I still get my truck back at steal of a deal ......

CoolAF.

You can get the stuck key bit out, or not, as you don't care about security so much.

Glad I learned I can break in with a long pole and a wedge!!!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

If the guy solved the problem why would he still sell it to you for $1000?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
this whole thread is odd to me. Maybe it is just me, if I sold a guy a vehicle, and he called me, I would have tried to help him. That is one of the reasons I am here on the forum, to help and get help. This just seemed like gloating over someone else's misfortune.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:10 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
this whole thread is odd to me. Maybe it is just me, if I sold a guy a vehicle, and he called me, I would have tried to help him. That is one of the reasons I am here on the forum, to help and get help. This just seemed like gloating over someone else's misfortune.
HE DOESN'T WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY TO FIX IT!!!!
I made a few suggestions to the guy....but that's it...he didn't want the truck any more.. His wife moved back east for work and he can't afford two vehicles!!.....miss fortune!!!!!!! Really I sold it to him at 5000$ loss. And the only reason i sold it was I needed the money from not being able to work from an injury.....I thought this sit was about helping people not giving them **** based on there opinion!!!!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
THE PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED!
There is still half a broken key in the door!!!!!!!!!!
Would you not like to be able to lock you truck!!!!!!!!?????
He got a key made that started it ....that's a half *** fix

Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Mojigglins, you've now added information that adds color to the situation. Without that info the situation looked more opportunistic.

As for the broken key still being in the door, now that the truck can be driven there are a lot more options to remove the broken key shank. For one thing the need is now less urgent. I don't know where in Northern BC the truck is now but your profile says you are in Gibsons, BC. I Googled locksmiths in your town and quickly found one that it appears could easily get the key out. Broken key extractor sets are readily available online if its just too far to a locksmith. Or there's the super glue idea someone else offered.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

HE DOESN'T WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY TO FIX IT!!!!
I made a few suggestions to the guy....but that's it...he didn't want the truck any more.. His wife moved back east for work and he can't afford two vehicles!!.....miss fortune!!!!!!! Really I sold it to him at 5000$ loss. And the only reason i sold it was I needed the money from not being able to work from an injury.....I thought this sit was about helping people not giving them **** based on there opinion!!!!
My Bad, and my apologies. I should not have jumped to conclusions. I read into something, that was not there. Now let me get my head out of my ****, and say, glad you got your girl back. Good luck getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: Key is broken off in door