Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob debacle: the adventure continues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:00 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandman614
Or as stated in the doc other wireless (not Wi-Fi) car remotes/garage door openers/gated communities /etc

Pretty sure my HAM radio can listen to 315mhz and surrounding freqs.

Lots more spurious wireless emissions than when the trucks were built #5gdeathbeams lol
Right, Way more human generated RF noise in all frequency bands over the last 20 years. .

Could be anything really like you said...

One instance, when working with an unlicensed 6.8 gig microwave path over water we were noticing brief intermittent interruptions... Couldn't figure it out for months until one day we noticed a cargo ship sailing through the middle of the path and the interruption happened at exactly the same time... So we had spend many thousands of dollars of a fancy ship detector. What was really happening was that the path was partially reflecting off the water due to less than precise aiming of the dishes. Aiming them higher took the water reflection out of the picture and then things were good... Lol.

Also have seen signals from military aircraft blank whole bands of frequencies at random times... Well only random to the non military collateral recipients of the interference. Really hard to get to the bottom of that kind of thing unless you have inside contacts.

Hopefully the TSB offers a solution.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Wow Sandman, incredible find. Good work!

Looks like Doc has two alternatives - live with it or replace the BCU. And it's the BCU that's synched to the instrument panel, right, so you have the whole miles/flashing display/synch thing to deal with.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Lets not forget papa elons space internet!

I'm actually kinda excited to try it.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mln01
Wow Sandman, incredible find. Good work!

Looks like Doc has two alternatives - live with it or replace the BCU. And it's the BCU that's synched to the instrument panel, right, so you have the whole miles/flashing display/synch thing to deal with.
Pretty sure Nanocom can sync the BCU.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandman614
Soo I just found this ​​​​​​

TECHNICAL INFORMATION No: 86/01/01/NAS
KEYS FAIL TO UNLOCK VEHICLE AFTER SITTING OVERNIGHT
A vehicle parked in a radio-signal-rich environment with RF noise at or around the same frequency as remote plips – 315MHz – such as garage door openers, house alarms, gates in gated communities, or radio transmitters may exhibit the symptoms. Not all vehicles exhibit this condition. Low ambient temperatures can make the condition worse.

· Vehicle is within the VIN range YA260032 to 1A703319
· 1999 vehicles with 48K replacement BCU (YWC000010) OR replacement RF receiver (YWY100450L) fitted.
· Vehicle plips occasionally stop working after sitting overnight, or for an extended period.
· When mechanical key is used to unlock the driver’s door, plips start functioning correctly again.
Sandman....you sir are a God; and I owe you a beer.

I wonder; from the “repair” information included in that .pdf; does it seem to say that the existing BCU can be updated? or that the fix is a replacement with a new BLANK BCU that must be programmed?

however disheartening this makes me to know that my only options are “live with it” or replace the BCU....I am overjoyed to know that I wasn’t losing my mind, or on the wrong track in troubleshooting.

as well, I know I can complete my roof leak issue repair and put the headliner back in....without worrying about having to take it back out again.

thank you for finding such an obscure article!

I am wondering....was this a recall? Would it still be active? or is this out of pocket at this point? Wishful thinking I know.

thanks again...

Doc

Old 10-11-2020, 08:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ReconDoc83
Sandman....you sir are a God; and I owe you a beer.

I wonder; from the “repair” information included in that .pdf; does it seem to say that the existing BCU can be updated? or that the fix is a replacement with a new BLANK BCU that must be programmed?

however disheartening this makes me to know that my only options are “live with it” or replace the BCU....I am overjoyed to know that I wasn’t losing my mind, or on the wrong track in troubleshooting.

as well, I know I can complete my roof leak issue repair and put the headliner back in....without worrying about having to take it back out again.

thank you for finding such an obscure article!

I am wondering....was this a recall? Would it still be active? or is this out of pocket at this point? Wishful thinking I know.

thanks again...

Doc
Glad to ease your mind! Looks like replace with a new 'blank' BCU and program it to the vehicle(add fitted features). As mine is doing it too I checked a local yard and they have a couple BCUs from 2003 and 2004 discos for great prices. I'm going to pick one up for mine and figured I could grab the others as well to distribute here.

Best I can tell it's a TSB not a Recall, slight difference with a recall being free usually. It's dated 2001 but couldn't hurt to talk to a dealer.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Doc, what are the last six digits of your truck's VIN? Is it within the range of the VINs specified in the TSB?

Old 10-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Is anyone interested in a junkyard BCU part number to match that supplied in the Tech Bulletin to correct this issue? A local yard has a couple BCUs from 2003 and 2004 discos for great prices. Trying to determine if it's worth picking up the ones they have to distribute here.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Great find @Sandman. I notice that I have to get really close to the car to make it function in dense urban environments. Maybe 433MHz is not so crowded and the better option. Cheap 433MHz receivers can be found on ebay sometimes.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:50 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
Great find @Sandman. I notice that I have to get really close to the car to make it function in dense urban environments. Maybe 433MHz is not so crowded and the better option. Cheap 433MHz receivers can be found on ebay sometimes.
this hits on a follow up I was going to ask....

I wonder IF replacing the 315mhz RF Receiver with a 433mhz in a NAM Disco is an option?

the euro and Asian market Discos came with 433mhz Receivers and keys.

so in my mind, and in theory, if the RF Receiver is plug and play, and only sends the appropriate unlock code to the BCU then it should work correct?

EDIT: obviously the key fob would have to be changed as well.