Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob debacle: RF Receiver frequency change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 10:52 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Key fob debacle: RF Receiver frequency change?

As many know I have been fighting with key fob programming and chasing the diagnosis for the RF Receiver “going to sleep”.

we learned through an obscure service alert, found by one of the other members, that the cause for this issue is RF signal noise from other sources that force the BCU to put the RF Receiver into sleep mode; and it only happens with 315mhz receivers.

but I am wondering....

since we know the RF Receiver is “plug and play”; can you just replace the 315mhz receiver with a 433mhz receiver?

obviously you would need to change the internal keyfob chip; and reprogram the key in the BCU; but the question is...will the BCU recognize the 433mhz signal from the upgraded RF Receiver? Does the BCU in any way know the difference between a 315 or 433? I do not believe it does. My belief comes from the fact that the Asia and EU markets came with fobs programmed at 433mhz.

if so, this opens up amazing possibilities for resolving keyfob upgrades...as well as keyfobs themselves; since you could program a “flip key” fob to work with the 433 receiver.

thoughts?

doc

Old 10-26-2020, 11:05 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

433mHz is an open band for unlicensed low power RF systems in the US and most of the world. Just like 315mHz.

Everything from remote tire pressure sensors to doorbells, weather stations, gate openers, wireless light switches, driveway alert systems, LITERALLY everything under the sun operate completely legally and unlicensed there.

In my opinion it will certainly work and be legal, it will also be subject to the same if not more potential interference.

I would assume that is the reason that the North American market chose 315mHz...

The only benefit of one over the other would be interference considerations as propagation would be near identical for the two bands.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
433mHz is an open band for unlicensed low power RF systems in the US and most of the world. Just like 315mHz.

Everything from remote tire pressure sensors to doorbells, weather stations, gate openers, wireless light switches, driveway alert systems, LITERALLY everything under the sun operate completely legally and unlicensed there.

In my opinion it will certainly work and be legal, it will also be subject to the same if not more potential interference.

I would assume that is the reason that the North American market chose 315mHz...

The only benefit of one over the other would be interference considerations as propagation would be near identical for the two bands.
The issue is with the BCU putting the older 315hmz RF Receivers to sleep after 8 hours; and for the 1st time each day, you must unlock the vehicle with the physical key.

it only happens on a certain number of Discos with a certain Vin range with 315mhz RF Receivers; it is a problem with the BCU software. The fix was made to the BCU programming in later models; the only way to fix the issue in those models is to replace the BCU with one from a later model and have it programmed....no big deal if you have a NanoCom handy.

there are no service notices about it happening with 433mhz receivers.

that is why I ponder the change of the Receiver and the fobs to 433.

my only issue is not knowing of the BCU knows whether the connected RF Receiver is 315, or 433. Like I said the Asia and EU market came with 433mhz receivers and fobs..so I do not think the BCU cares about the RF Receivers frequency...but I am no expert.

doc

Old 10-26-2020, 11:25 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I would think you are correct the receiver should just provide a contact closure to the BCU.

The following users liked this post:
ReconDoc83 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Agreed, according to anything I could find in the RAVE.

The following users liked this post:
ReconDoc83 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

The receiver demodulates the RF signal and sends the code as digital ones and zeros to the BCU. As long as the protocol is identical, it should be just plug and play. But you never know, someone needs to try that out.

The manual shows one type of connector only, which seems to be identical worldwide. There is only a difference in wiring between non-Korean and Korean models.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,164 Likes on 625 Posts

Interesting. I'd bet 433 receiver works to unlock / lock with the matching keys. But will those keys start the truck? Do you then have to change your ignition assembly too though? IDK. Different technology but perhaps related somehow. Because that would be annoying.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

The frequency of the keyless entry system has absolutely nothing to do with starting the truck.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
The frequency of the keyless entry system has absolutely nothing to do with starting the truck.
He could be referring to the Key/Fob which looks to be one piece, at least that my only guess as the key is not attached to the fob other than being held in the same case.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

The key is removable from the remote and can be attached to another remote given it is the same design. There are 433MHz remotes sold on ebay with the same design as the original LR D2 key fobs. They come with a blank key too. Ignition is not impacted, because it is just a mechanical lock.

Quick Reply: Key fob debacle: RF Receiver frequency change?