Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key ignition (don't know the proper term) is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default key ignition (don't know the proper term) is messed up

I have to play with the key to get it to turn and the I, II, and III do not line up ever with where the key is. Can this be fixed or do I need to replace it? New keys and calibrating the system will be a pain if true. It turns off fine but sometimes it takes a minute or two to get it to move initially when I try to crank it.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You might need a new ignition switch, but first next time it sticks take the key back out and turn it over and use the other side of the key.
I dont know if the key is actually supposed to line up with the 1-2-3 marks or not.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 PM
KBW
Mudding

I've reversed the key and it does nothing extra. I just have to play with it and it gets annoying to do that when it takes a few minutes

Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does the exact same thing. I thought i would make it better by spraying a little WD40 in it, it only made it worse until all the WD40 worked it's way out. Now it still sticks but with the lube I could hardly turn it at all.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

graphite lube. Comes in a little tube. It is the only kind of lubricant you should use in the ignition switch...

Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have this problem with my 04 disco but ether side of the key doesn't matter. Theres a sweet spot u can hit to get it turn over just smoothly insert the key and be patient till u find. works everytime.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, when I first got mine, I couldn't get the key to come out. Finally I did, and one side of the notches is broken off. Now it works fine, but the key won't work unless the buttons on the keyless entry remote are facing the front of the truck.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Jesss guys, I would not put up with so much trouble. I would either replace the switch or if there is no money, I would get rid of it all together and put a button switch or even the bare cables

Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yah there are some cheaper alternatives, if you want to do some research into it then you might find you can actually make a pretty cool transponder based push button system with your existing key that will be just as secure as it is now and wont cost too much to do (I actually new a guy who built a smart key and remote start system so that his car starts when he walks up to it and shuts off when he leaves as long as the key is in his pocket! but I would think a new ignition switch would be cheaper than that). the problem is with the transponder in the key now I am sure you will need a dealer to program a new ignition switch and key set.

side note, if you wanted to build your own push button start system I am sure I could find a way and design you a relay diagram to make it work really easy for you! key sense for ignition and accessory wires and push button to kill the accessory circuits and crank would be a piece of cake! this would be the easiest way while still utilizing your transponder system (basically just push the key into the cylinder without turning it and everything will turn on, then push button to start) should cost you about $15 - $40 depending on the button you get and where you get the relays

Last edited by Rover Chris; 04-24-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

actually looking at the tech sheet it doesn't look like you have a transponder key, I don't know if I would do this without a key (would be easier to steal) just go to the key cutting counter at walmart or somewhere that cuts car keys and ask if your key has a "chip" in it they can tell you.

Quick Reply: key ignition (don't know the proper term) is messed up