Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys cut to code won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:59 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys cut to code won't turn

Hello,

I've got a 1999 Discovery II in my driveway, but have no original keys/ the standard fob for the car. I had been using the valet key for the past year with no issues at all. Since I lost that key this week I figured it would just be a simple trip to a locksmith shop for a new valet set after receiving the key code from the dealership by providing them with my VIN.

However, after three different attempts at cutting the key from code, none have managed to open my driver's side door. I know that I am the second owner of the car, and that the lock and ignition have not been replaced or rekeyed. I have lubed the lock, and spent more than 15 minutes with each key jiggling it around and looking for play in the lock but none of the keys will turn the lock in either direction.

I'm a little confused as how to proceed with getting my car back on the road again. I would imagine that if I called the dealership and asked them to provide me with a new factory key (which I was quoted $300 for), that it shouldn't be any different than the keys cut to code by my locksmith. The locksmith will not refund me for the cut keys, and I do believe that they are cut correctly since he tried two RV4-P blanks and an RV4 blank, and reconfirmed the codes three times with me, the dealership and his databases.

Are there any suggestions for what I can do with the lock or keys that may help me get into my car? In the case that I need my doors and ignition rekeyed, are there any places that stock new disco door handles or just the lock barrel? I have only found new ignition's online. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-10-2015, 05:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Look at your key and the cut keys. Notice anything different? New keys have nice sharp edges while worn keys, are smoother from use. Go to home Depot or lowes and get a small file set. Smooth the new keys down to match you old key. It'll work. Had the same problem

Last edited by dgi 07; 12-10-2015 at 08:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
krammark (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Look at you key and the cut keys. Notice anything different? New kets have thone nice sharp edges while worn keys, are smoother from use. Go to home Depot or lowes and get a small file set. Smooth the new keys down to match you old key. It'll work. Had the same problem
I think he lost his old key. He has no key to match from. Hence the key code from vin number.

dgi is right though, a little tickle from a small file set might be all it needs.

I've had a couple of keys cut in the past year. Always from an existing one though. Any problem I have had has been with the shoulders. Either too deep or not enough.

First try pushing the key all the way into the lock, then pulling out by 0.5-1.0mm. Give it a turn. After 5 minutes of fiddling with that try taking 0.5-1.0mm off the shoulder with a fine file. so the key effectively goes in the hole a bit further. Tip, mark a line on the key of where you are filing to, so you don't take too much off.

The problem comes from the barrel and pins being over 10 years old. Usually the key and barrel grow old together. But if they become separated a new key doesn't know the old barrels quirks.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

be sure to turn the key around, i have had keys that would only turn depending on what side was up. lazy locksmiths don't flip the original key for the 2nd cut

Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had a similar problem. I bought a replacement key from Amazon and had it cut to my old keys. It doesn't want to turn the ignition at all. It has no problems with the doors.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh what fun keys are. I would see if you can get someone to unlock the door with one of those slim jim tools. If you get it open then you could take the door trim panel off, take out the handle with the lock cylinder and bring it to your locksmith. Hopefully they can remove the tumblers and see what the heck is really going on.

I recently went through 3 different hardware stores trying to get a second key made. I finally got 1 fairly good one, but I have to pull it out ever so slightly to work in the ignition.

krammark (12-13-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I had the exact same issue when I had a new key cut a few years back. The last bit of the key closest to the plastic fob needs to be grinder down just a C-hair more so it can completely fit in the ignition. I walked back into the key cutting place they did 2 little zips on each side and it's worked fine ever since.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:21 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the locksmith got my new key to work with some WD40 and pushing it in and out a bunch. One thing he pointed out was my new key was "pointier" on the end, and the LR keys were more rounded. You might take a look at that and file down a bit if necessary.

krammark (12-13-2015)