Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys and security

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2021 | 08:04 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Keys and security

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 2000 Disco 2 and it is my first foray into Rovers and off roading generally. I was wondering are the electronics in the key only used for the keyless entry or is it used in starting the car as well (security system)? Is there any way to disable such a system and so I could just use plain metal keys?

Thanks for the help. I am sure ill be on here a lot as I work on this thing.

Zach

Old 03-07-2021 | 08:30 PM
Winching

The electronics in the key fob are for keyless entry. Unlike newer cars there is nothing in the steering column that senses the fob allow the engine to start.

However, when the doors are locked with the fob it does two other things. It turns on the alarm and sets the immobilizer. The immobilizer is part of a system for the Body Control computer and engine computer to communicate to allow the engine to start. So when the doors are unlocked with the fob the alarm is turned off and the immobilizer is turned off.

There is no way to remove to immobilizer component of the system.

Old 03-07-2021 | 08:34 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I see. So what if I never locked it with the fob and just locked it manually? It would never engage the system?

Old 03-08-2021 | 06:36 AM
Winching
Default Physical key only

Well, that is interesting. Yes you should be able to only use a key but my D2 will not turn the immobilized off unless the fob is used.

Having two different Rovers I highly suggest getting a working fob. Bite the billet and order one from Atlantic British or Lucky 8 and then rent the Nanocom from Brandon318.

The fob is an intricate part of the electrical system. Is much easier to get a working fob now vs is the alarm goes off and your D2 becomes a brick because you have no way to turn is off without a working fob.

Old 03-08-2021 | 07:57 AM
Overlanding

My fob is missing the buttons so I haven't been using it. I unlock the doors manually and have no problem starting the vehicle. Seems like this disagrees with what you are saying above?

Old 03-08-2021 | 08:15 AM
TReK

I used only the key for a couple of years on my '99 truck. You do have to be cautious about the tendency for the lock linkage pin to break, leaving you unable to lock/unlock the vehicle. Carrs4x4 sells a redesigned replacement.

Old 03-08-2021 | 09:11 AM
Winching

B Strife, yes you are correct you can use just the physical key to lock and unlock the door.

For some reason I have not figured out my D2 requires the fob to be used to turn off the immobilized.

My suggestion for having a working fob is if the alarm goes off for an unknown reason there is no way to turn off the alarm without a working fob. (This is for USA owners who did not have the EKA code function enabled)

Old 03-08-2021 | 09:15 AM
TReK

I never had a problem turning off the alarm with the physical key.

Old 03-08-2021 | 09:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If you are going to rely on just the standard key I would be probably replace the pin(?) that turns the mechanism as they apparently are prone to breaking.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...acement-82843/

Old 03-08-2021 | 12:02 PM
Camel Trophy

My experience with my truck is the same as keninnc reports for his; unlocking the truck using the key in the driver's door does not cancel the immobilization system. What's really odd is that it used to work just fine. I'm still trying to sort it out. My thread on the topic is linked below.

But to your original question, as others have said you can absolutely use a plain key (unless your truck is behaving like mine is and like keninnc's is.) Lots of mom and pop hardware stores have them. The numbers for key blanks from ILCO are RV4 for an all-metal key, and RV4-P for an all metal key with a plastic head. You can also find them for sale inexpensively on eBay, and any hardware store should be able to cut them for you for a few buck.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-fault-103215/

Quick Reply: Keys and security