Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Knew Knock, (Bottom End)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need to remove the oil filter housing in order to get the bolts out of the side of the engine in order to have access to the main bearings? If so, is there a gasket that I need for that? Do I also need to pull the starter and exhaust?

Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok, so we got all the side bolts out except the one closest to the oil filter housing. Can't get a box end on it. Anyone know if you need to remove the whole housing to get a wrench on that? It looks like it's actually a part of the case. Any thoughts?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

if this is the knock or clatter when started in the morning - first start after being off for 14 hours -
don't worry about it.
Lasts a minute or less and goes away.

Both the 1997 D1 and the 2001 D2 both do it.
I am at 167000 miles and 100000 miles respectively.

If the knock is still there after a short trip and you are idling - then you have a worry.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jfall
if this is the knock or clatter when started in the morning - first start after being off for 14 hours -
don't worry about it.
Lasts a minute or less and goes away.

Both the 1997 D1 and the 2001 D2 both do it.
I am at 167000 miles and 100000 miles respectively.

If the knock is still there after a short trip and you are idling - then you have a worry.
Well, you haven't read through the thread apparently. It is the rod bearings. The main bearings are also scored and need to be replaced.

The question now is, how do you get the main cap side bolt out that's closest to the oil filter housing?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Three Wheeling

Rod bearings are replaced. Started it up and there was no knock. Gave it a few minutes to warm up and the knock was back. Before, it was hard to tell where the knock was coming from, but sounded mostly like the bottom. Now, it's all coming from the top. Rods and possible oil pump? Having oil pressure checked tomorrow.

Now, it's totally intermittent. It knocks pretty loudly, then with raising the idle, the noise completely stops. I think it was a combination before and that's why it would kind of go away, but not completely. The loud knock, (top) was going away, but the rod bearings were still knocking.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it a knock or more of a tap? I would suspect that your engine flush freed quite a bit of sludge which then plugged every small passage it could find. Try pulling all of the pushrods and making sure the oil passage within them is clean. If the sludge has blocked one or more of them up, you will have a rocker running dry at the tip. While you're at it, check all of the oil passages to the rockers. You will have the shafts off anyway. If everything there looks clean, it might be a collapsed lifter but if you hear it in the top end (under the rocker covers) then it probably isn't a lifter.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks. This is what it sounds like. The tone is identical. Mine sounds like it's coming from the front/passenger side, but is also pretty loud under the truck. No oil light, and everything else is fine, aside from the cylinder 6 misfire.

I started it a couple of hours ago and let it run for about 10 minutes. I revved it up and it didn't make a sound the entire time. I started it up about an hour later, no noise. Drove to the store, no noise. Parked it back at home and the noise was back.

Last edited by ruining; 12-20-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like something in the valve train. The misfire makes me suspect the lifter. Is this misfire new, or was it there before the engine flush? If it's new, that could be the problem. Either way, checking the pushrods is a good place to start.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks again. The misfire started about two weeks before the knock. Would pushrods create an intermittent knock where it could be dead quiet for 20 minutes? I'll check it out.

Thanks a lot for the response. I'm kind of going crazy with this and can't wait to fix it, just so I can sell it.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Check your cats, when they start to fall apart the catylist inside them rattles around and sounds like a rod knock.
With the engine off tap on the cats with a hammer, if they rattle they are bad.
The best way to check them is to drop the y-pipe, start the truck and see if the knock goes away.
Always remember to
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Quick Reply: A Knew Knock, (Bottom End)