Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KNock sensor wire cut

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KNock sensor wire cut

2000 disco - how many knock sensors does it have ?

I crawled under the truck tonight to look at the crank shaft position sensor but before I got there I found another sensor with the wires disconected from the plug. Based on experience it looked like a Knock sensor. I looked on the other side of the engine in the same place and saw the same thing - only the leads were good. The car is not throwing a code for the Knock sensor but the wires are clearly broken.

I took a pic but its too big to post. The sensor was located right behind the starter motor (I think)

Do I need 2 knock sensors ? that will be a rear pain to replace the leads and wire clip

Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you need 2 knock sensors. I had one of my wires smashed/cut accidentally when I had my engine replaced. Mine ran at least a month before it threw a code, all I had to do was red-line it, and the code popped right up. Once the vehicle realizes that there's a problem with one or more of the knock sensors, it will "retard the timing", giving you a lot less horsepower, and probably worse gas mileage as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Splice the wires and you should be fine.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Three Wheeling

No can do, they broke at the tip of the connector - nothing to reattach to

Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the tip of the connector still in the knock sensor? If not, try a local junk yard and see if they can pull a connector for you.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Yeah the connector is still attached to the sensor.

I checked a local junk yard - he wouldnt cut it,
He also wouldnt give me the rear door latch acturator cause the door was in good shape, and wanted $40 for the signal relay, and $40 for each black corner piece that goes on top of the rear bumper.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue, the red wire is pulled clean out at the connector, I have no clue how to fix this. Can the connector be opened and the wire reattched or should I run a new wire from the ecm down to the sensor, bank two. Of so what the heck do I wire it up with?

Please help, my truck is running like the garbage

Old 05-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dmcmahon30@gmail.com
I'm having the same issue, the red wire is pulled clean out at the connector, I have no clue how to fix this. Can the connector be opened and the wire reattched or should I run a new wire from the ecm down to the sensor, bank two. Of so what the heck do I wire it up with?

Please help, my truck is running like the garbage
You may not have realized but you posted in a seriously old thread.

I've had to fix my wires before but not at the connector. One got loose and the exhaust burned it. I recall that my truck ran horribly until o fixed it, and I had to do the fix twice because those knock sensors are super sensitive. And the connections are to be GOOD.

The best solution is to get a new connector but they are wired into the harness, so (as noted above) you have to cut a harness to get one.

I'll see what I can find. There have to be connectors for them.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, yea I figured this wasn't going to be easy. There are connectors on the web with leads but I'm not sure if they would splice back to the harness if I cut the lead back. I don't mind running new wire from the ecm. Just not sure what to use since its not typical wiring as they are sensitive

Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by dmcmahon30@gmail.com
Thanks, yea I figured this wasn't going to be easy. There are connectors on the web with leads but I'm not sure if they would splice back to the harness if I cut the lead back. I don't mind running new wire from the ecm. Just not sure what to use since its not typical wiring as they are sensitive
They are. I couldn't find the connector on the Internet. That wire is shielded. But I'm interested in the topic because last week I noticed he retaining clip was broken on one of mine.

Quick Reply: KNock sensor wire cut