Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking Noise. Main Bearing Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Knocking Noise. Main Bearing Replacement?

I have a problem with my D2, on cold start up I have a knock, as it warms up it slowly goes away, not fully but quiets to were you cant hear it unless REALLY listening to it. Now I'm sure its because my oil is too thick for my temperature, but I haven't had the chance to replace just quite yet due to semester finals killing me. I know a knock in any case is bad news. My final test is actually tomorrow, and I will have time to finally address this, I don't want to change the oil and still have it be there so, I'm just going to do it. My question, do I have to take the entire front half of the engine off again to do the bearings? or can I just drop the pan? I'm hoping its just the pan since I had the whole front half off not two months ago. The knock I noticed just yesterday in a tunnel, and now today on a cold start.

A little history on the rover: I have replaced timing chain, cam and crank gears, and oil pump gears already. The owner neglected the truck as there was nearly 3 inches of carbon in the oil pan. I didn't think to replace the bearings then.

I have tried with the other LR forum but they lose interest.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Im thinking myself into a panic attack. BTW the noise does quiet as engine heats up, so its possibly oil pressure related from the bearing being worn? and not a slipped liner, because the sound wouldn't have gone away, right? please god am I right?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

it sounds like this video. The faint clacking, not the deep thuds.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can replace the bearing with the motor in the truck,

Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That's good news, do I have to pull the timing cover?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, i believe so I think there are to stud from the cover into the pan.

no i think it is the other way you have to remove the pan to get the cover off

Last edited by drowssap; 12-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap

no i think it is the other way you have to remove the pan to get the cover off
That part is correct. Believe me. I know from experience. Worst design ever. Turns a front cover gasket from a 30 min job to somewhere around 10 hours unless you have a lift (still in the few hours range though).

You'll have to pull both regardless since you need the slack in the timing chain to get the bearings out. Mind as well do a chain, gears, and oil pump while you're there if you have the money to throw at it.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It is a 10 hour job. I just did the timing chain and gears, and oil pump gears just three months ago. Well hell. The noise goes away at operating temp, im going to swap to a thinner oil for winter and see if that makes any changes, I was told that a guy had a similar problem to mine but he had a clogged lifter which made the knock, and as it heated it quieted.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Okay, Thanks for the replies but Its fixed. The stupidest possible thing. The oil weight I was running was too thick for cold weather, I switched to 10W30, the knocking is gone, faint noises in the valve covers, I was recommended to put some MMO marvelous oil something, I put 16 ounces in it, the valve noises decreased dramatically, the engine is the quietest it has ever been since the day I bought it... I jumped the gun and I panicked. No more noise at cold start or warm idle.
Thanks for all imput I appreciate it!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Any noises that quiet down once the engine warms up are usually due to too thick an oil. When the engines warm up, the oil thins and the oil pressure goes down so anything that has excessive clearance will get noisier.

If your engine was as full of sludge as you say, then you probably have some clogged passages and gunk filled lifters. The valve train is probably not getting all of the oil flow it should also. The best way to clean it out is to use a good quality oil with lots of detergent and change it frequently for a while. Trying to clean it out quickly with an engine flush may loosen up too much sludge at once and clog up your oil pump intake and oil passages. Then you'll get some serious knocks!

Quick Reply: Knocking Noise. Main Bearing Replacement?