Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A knocking only my wife can make

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Default A knocking only my wife can make

So whenever the wife drives she teases a clunk out of the disco.

She has a habit of using the throttle like a button. It's either on or off. Same with brakes. Same with steering. Makes for an interesting ride.

She eases off the throttle, then back on harshly..... Clunk.

Anyway. I've swapped the front drive shaft. All tight and snug. New transfer case oil. Tranny oil and gasket.

It feels like its driveshaft, but that's just what I imagine. Could be anywhere.

There is certainly a little bit of play when I rotate the shaft. But I understand that's normal?

Doesn't happen when I drive it, only when the throttle is mistreated.

What can I go under and wobble, to find a culprit?

Old 10-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
So whenever the wife drives she teases a clunk out of the disco.

She has a habit of using the throttle like a button. It's either on or off. Same with brakes. Same with steering. Makes for an interesting ride.

She eases off the throttle, then back on harshly..... Clunk.

Anyway. I've swapped the front drive shaft. All tight and snug. New transfer case oil. Tranny oil and gasket.

It feels like its driveshaft, but that's just what I imagine. Could be anywhere.

There is certainly a little bit of play when I rotate the shaft. But I understand that's normal?

Doesn't happen when I drive it, only when the throttle is mistreated.

What can I go under and wobble, to find a culprit?
Did you check the rear shaft?

also these sometimes have play in the diffs. like when you stop, put it in park and let off of the brake it will roll a few inches.

If getting off the throttle and back on it clunks, sounds like play in the diffs to me but, ??? mine does that a little but not bad and all of my UJ's and roto-flex are new. I even stuck in a new shaft I had here from another truck and still has slack when putting in park and let off of brake and a slight clunk when off and on the throttle. So anyway mine is in the diffs and TC.

Surely your slack is not the new front shaft. I wouldn't think!

And my wife can make our truck do all kinds of stuff. She sets off the alarm.... tries to open the door and turn off the key switch at the same time and triggers it for some reason.
She even gets it to go into limp mode with flashing M&S lights when hopping around from store to store? I'm not sure exactly how she does it but none of it ever happens when I drive it.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-18-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Not checked the rear shaft. Will do tho.

Diffs both have new oil. Old removed didn't look all that bad. Is there any way of narrowing down the diffs as a cause?

Could always just ban the missus from driving.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well you could get someone to put it in gear, foot on brake, pull up a foot or so, and with foot on brake, put in park and let off of brake while you look underneath from the side. I wouldn't trust anybody enough to get any closer view.

You should be able to see if when in park and they let off of the brake and the truck rolls... if the drive shaft moves also the slack is probably in the TC. If the truck rolls and the shaft stays still then the slack is in the diff. or if any of the joints have slack, you should may able to see or hear that as well while watching as it rolls a little while in park. or when shifting back and forth between park and drive and reverse (foot on brake) while you look at everything. Use a bright light so you don't have to get under there or get too close and try to look at each part as you do this several times until you see where your slack is or if any noise or clunking popping.

I have no way to know if that is where your clunking is coming from, just would think that's probably where it's coming from. Someone on here had a ton of slack in the front diff and when they tore it down it had some broken parts. BUT they had metal in the oil also I think.

Mine, like yours, had clean oil when I drained it and no metal...and I still have some slack and I use 75/140

Keep us posted if you narrow it down... interested to know.

Be careful fooling around with it while someone else is pulling up and back helping you. I'm sure not everyone drives like my wife but all of her driving is automatic and when I try to get her to help me do anything out of the ordinary that involves starting or moving the truck or pumping the brakes up or anything..her mind just won't cooperate.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Sounds like it may be a normal slack take up. But yes check the shafts out.
A worn radius arm bushing can clank in a similar manner also. Mine would in sudden accel, just like a shaft would..…just a thought

Old 10-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd guess its just a normal play in the drive line but do what they said and also check the motor/tranny mounts. I just did mine...it made several groans and clunks that are now gone.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Cool. Stuff to check.

Radius arm bushings.
Rear shaft.
Motor mounts.

Not sure I would trust being under the thing with any movement at at.. Can certainly peer from the side to check the diff scene.

I remember a long time ago having some old pos car that made terrible noises in reverse. Fooled me for ages before finding it was an engine mount.

Cheers. Will update.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

check the play in the front diff

Old 10-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm the one who coaxes that clunk sound when I drive. Every time, my wife says that it has gotten worse and that I must be doing something wrong to her Disco. In three years I don't think it has gotten any worse, it's simply play in the drive line. When you add up all the little slacks in the diffs, transfer case, and tranny, you get the clunk.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So did you find the source of the clunking sound? just take-up or what?

Quick Reply: A knocking only my wife can make