Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking under passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking under passenger side

Hello All
So I was hearing a squealing sound under the truck when I would accelerate and low and behold after reading this forum it was the front drive shaft! (Thanks Land Rover Enthusiasts) I replaced the drive shaft and the truck was quiet again. For an entire week it was fine...until my wife drove it to Michigan some 2.5 hrs away. She said there was a knocking sound coming from under the truck. I climbed back under to see what it was only to find nothing out of the ordinary. I figured maybe it was the tranny or transfer case that could be acting up so I took it to a reputable transmission place. They said it was the drive shaft again but he doesnt extensively work on Land Rovers...oh I forgot the mention the drive shaft I replaced wasnt OEM. Could that effect it? It lines up perfectly and again, I didn't have any issues until she drove it to Michigan. Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by shonwood
Hello All
So I was hearing a squealing sound under the truck when I would accelerate and low and behold after reading this forum it was the front drive shaft! (Thanks Land Rover Enthusiasts) I replaced the drive shaft and the truck was quiet again. For an entire week it was fine...until my wife drove it to Michigan some 2.5 hrs away. She said there was a knocking sound coming from under the truck. I climbed back under to see what it was only to find nothing out of the ordinary. I figured maybe it was the tranny or transfer case that could be acting up so I took it to a reputable transmission place. They said it was the drive shaft again but he doesnt extensively work on Land Rovers...oh I forgot the mention the drive shaft I replaced wasnt OEM. Could that effect it? It lines up perfectly and again, I didn't have any issues until she drove it to Michigan. Any suggestions???

Thanks!
Raise the two front tires above ground. Make sure it safe. Place shifter to neutral, go under and turn the tires and listen or check if the driveshaft is knocking or clunking. You might see the joints loose.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Is the truck lifted above two inches? If it's the driveshaft, it may have too steep an angle to function properly. If factory height, then could be a bad new driveshaft. Do you have ACE? If so, could be worn bushings knocking when the rams activate. Or maybe a loose ACE hose/tube going to the junction under the passenger seat.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Did you grease the driveshaft as soon as you installed it? They only come with enough grease in them for packaging and you're supposed to grease them up before driving the truck.

Also, what driveshaft did you use? The cheapo fleabay special, the Lucky 8 driveshaft, or something else?

Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I had the same problem. Turned out my drive shaft was banging into my cat. I whacked a dent in the cat. Problem solved.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I can't knock the Ebay drive shafts with grease-able U-Joints. I've bought 3 and they've been excellent. When a cat's guts break apart it'll make a horrible knocking sound at idle or slow speeds.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I can't knock the Ebay drive shafts with grease-able U-Joints. I've bought 3 and they've been excellent.
Which one(s) did you buy from eBay? I see every price range out there and as many vendors.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwehking
Which one(s) did you buy from eBay? I see every price range out there and as many vendors.
This is the front drive shaft that I bought off of eBay with 5 grease fittings... https://www.ebay.com/itm/282604420171

6 months now and it's still going strong.

The following users liked this post:
Jwehking (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
This is the front drive shaft that I bought off of eBay with 5 grease fittings... https://www.ebay.com/itm/282604420171
Agree, from what I have read the ones built with 1310 series joint is the common standard for ford, chevy, etc

Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I'll have to look up the vendor, but they ranged from 125-133.00 with free shipping. Zero complaints. Lube em up, install em & forget about em till your next oil change.

The following users liked this post:
Jwehking (09-24-2017)

Quick Reply: knocking under passenger side