Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knowing what you know now...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knowing what you know now...

Gentlemen:
Background (30 years old, Mechanical Engineer) - Land Cruiser and BMW enthusiast. Have owned FJ40's, FJ60's, 540i (6-speed), and currently an X5. All of which were purchased for less than $10K. I typically (with the exception of the FJ40), drive a vehicle for around 2-3 years and then sell and try something else; however, I have always wanted to purchase a LR, as I feel that it truly defines who I am...as gay as that sounds, and would like to switch from LC's to LR's.

I have searched the forum and the internet for a couple weeks now. I get it...poor gas mileage, extensive preventative maintenance, possibility of high repair costs if not a DIYer (which I am), etc.

Knowing what you know now, what model and year would you re-purchase. I like the headlights on the '03 and newer, but have no issue with a '99 either. This will be a second vehicle, but probably a daily driver to work (20 miles one way). But if it is down for repair, I have a back up. I currently have $7000 in my "recreation" fund (was saving for a boat, but now have a friend with one - which is the by far the best way own one) and would like help picking one out. I have no exterior color preference, but refuse to own another black interior vehicle after the 540i, I have better things to do than vacuum the inside of a car every other day. With the maintenance cost involved, I would like to buy around $5000, and use the $2000 to take care of the preventative maintenance mentioned on the Noobie Sticky. I prefer to buy from individuals, rather than dealerships. I have been looking on autotrader and craiglist (Atl). I would like to buy this week if there is a LR out there worth purchasing. I am not asking for you all to speed much time looking...maybe just a quick scroll through autotrader with me. Btw, I enjoy posting threads and DIY's, so I look forward to leaving Bimmerfest and getting to know you all.
Best,
Riley

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

We bought the '97 last year. I wouldn't buy anything again newer than a '95.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would look for a 2004 under 100k miles. You get locking transfer case "CDL". Some say the last year for the real Discovery and best. Some like 2000-2002 and think the 4.0L motor is more reliable. There are slight interior different refinements. I would say do not be in a hurry. Try to avoid SAI (Secondary air injection) and ACE if possible. I dont know if a 2004's came without SAI.

Fact is after looking at my own 2003 engine block, seems to me the piston sleeves can still slip. As i do not see a lip at the bottom.

Years 2000-2002 4.0L engine = 188Hp 200lbs of torque
Years 2003-2004 4.6L engine = 217Hp 200lb of torque ---IMHO I think the extra 29Hp is noticeable and makes for better driving Rover.

My 2003 is in the bad oil VIN range, but is past its death mileage. at 95k. Take your chances on the 2003's = No CDL. Only traction control. But may be purchased for a good deal.

These trucks can be good trucks. Follow the scheduled maintenance to a T. Start & complete Disco Mikes 60k. Change all 4 of your O2 sensors and Crank position sensor. Rebuild the front drive shaft off the bat. You will eliminate 65% of new buyer headaches. Run Rotella 15w/30 or Mobil 10w/40 oil and use extended long oil filters...Such as K&N3001, Wix, Purlator. Stay way from FRAM. Thats my 2 cents.

Last edited by bosshogt; 03-20-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

x2 on avoiding Secondary Air and ACE, and I'll raise you SLS as well!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll see you on the SLS, just cause I think its one feature that is cool! Cant beat being able to raise your rear end for a greater exit angle while wheeling. After 3.5 years of ownership I have only needed to swap one height sensor. Still knocking on wood! I keep a genuine LR air bag as a spare from eBay in my spare parts bin. When my compressor and solenoid start going haywire I will probably change my tune.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say assess what you want out of the truck. If you want a badass nice looking SUV you aren't afraid of hurting or putting to work. I'd say roll with a 2002 D2 or older, even a D1 maybe.

But if you especially like the facelift, interior refinements, and just a rather newer car, go with an 03-04. IF you are heavy into off road get an 04 because it has CDL. Otherwise if it's just occasional then I'd think an 03 would do you fine. But make sure you look as long as you need to land a quality truck. I considered my truck fairly well kept when I got it but even still realize that there are things must be done. There are so many Discovery's for sale that our just absolutely junk with tons of electronic problems( I believe the late 90's had those issues). Everything worked on the one I got, unfortunately mine is in the vin range but I'm 130,000 miles in with no explosions.

Make sure you can service your car or have mechanically inclined friends that can help. I would be so screwed if I didn't. The dealer is not an option. But you're an engineer so I think you're probably good there.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 03-20-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Mahatma..well I have both LC and LR. My FJ80 just sits these days since I entered the Disco world. Have an 01 SE and 02 SD. There are a lot of nice D2's out there and the price is right if you find a 99 or 00 plus you get CDL with the instalation of a CDL shifter. Put a shifter in my 01 but we have never needed the CDL yet. Traction control on these trucks is amazing. Sounds like you have a good idea of what to expect from reading the forum so your not blind to the issues. Get one...and have a blast. Wife and I played on the beach Sunday at Port A here in Texas and even in very deep sand never had a problem one. And that was with my 02 with no CDL.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2004 DII is the way to go, preferably with low miles and some maintenance records. You are aware of the oil pump misalignment problem on the 2003 (Flickering oil light - low oil pressure).

I have seen this problem on few 2004 DIIs. Just the check drive-train thoroughly.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 03/04 oil pump issue and the 03/04 mystery engine tick should be kept in mind.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a nice 2000 for sale right now, runs and looks great, i'm just looking to get out of the SUV types and back to a car.
PM me if you want some pics and details, i'm looking for $5000
dark green with 120'000 miles

Quick Reply: Knowing what you know now...