Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Designers were on crack. [Lug covers]

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010 | 08:18 PM
Winching

my factory lug wrench goes on the lugs just fine...with just a little wiggling.

whats the big deal?

Old 05-03-2010 | 09:59 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by oysterhead
my factory lug wrench goes on the lugs just fine...with just a little wiggling.

whats the big deal?
mine don't.

And it took me a while to get the lug out of the wrench.

Old 05-03-2010 | 10:01 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
LR is not the only ones who use those tin covered lug nuts, Dodge started using them too.
If you use a impact wrench to put them on the stretch and then your tire tool will not fit.
I carry a 6 point socket and a 1/2" breaker bar, a hammer and Channel-Lock's to change a tire.
Tap the socket onto the lug making sure you are square, remove it half way, take the hammer and Channel-Locks and wiggle the socket off of the lug.
Then move onto the next one.
LR lug nuts are not cheap.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NRC7415A.cfm
If you buy these solid steel ones you will never have that problem again.

Now look on the bright side, at least you figured this out at home instead of the side of the expressway in the pouring rain at 2:36 am taking your wife who is in labor to the hospital and you got a flat.
thanks for the info. And I'm glad I didn't have a flat on the way home from south Carolina.

Hey I see your marshill.org link and your from grand rapids
I take it you go to rob bells church?

Old 05-03-2010 | 10:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, go easy with them. They are suprisingly expensive to replace. You might have some with slightly stretched covers. You may need to get a socket that is a tad bit larger (6-sided), but don't hammer it on. Chevy trucks for many years used stainless and metal-covered lug nuts. Lots of large semis do as well. The nice thing about the L/R nuts is that the stainless steel covers are crimped on the back of the lug nut and not likely to fall off ...like the chevys.

Old 05-04-2010 | 02:44 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm with ya Spencer. Most folks who buy their Land Rovers new usually have someone else do the servicing when new. It's fine when you goto the dealer, but even the most **** amongst us doesn't get their tires changed at the stealership. Sadly, most independent tire dealers aren't aware of Land Rovers quirky lugs and will do whatever necessary to get em off - usually mangling your lugs in the process so you lug wrench will never fit again. THAT is the point that the owner usually figures out that these silly lugs were a real turd of an idea. Mine were so bad that I had to use a dremel to cut those pesky caps off after making 4 trips in the snow back and forth to the nearest autoparts store after a flat - searching for a socket that would fit. Took 3 hours to change a damn tire -INSANITY!

And for the record, those lugs are an in between size - 26.7mm (don't ask me how I know that. Still a sore subject. )

Old 05-04-2010 | 02:56 PM

I ended up replacing my stock lug nuts with the solid ones like used on the older range rovers. A local shop ruined all 20 of mine when they forced the wrong size socket on them and bashed them severly with their impact hammer turned all the way up.

And to make it worse, I told them they 1 1/16 inch (DI) and i had both a single lug wrench and one of those old fashioned 4-way spinner lug wrenches that are great for hand removal and tightening.

I got the solid ones from a reclycler on the West Coast, shipped to Pittsburgh for $100 for all 20. Stock ones are $20 each. I also have a set of stock ones for a DII they had sent me first in error. The DII is smaller size than the DI. Don't know what size though.

Old 05-04-2010 | 06:40 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
thanks for the info. And I'm glad I didn't have a flat on the way home from south Carolina.

Hey I see your marshill.org link and your from grand rapids
I take it you go to rob bells church?
Rob Bell? Who's that? LOL
Yes I attend Mar's Hill, been going for 8? years now and I LOVE IT!!
Rob is a excellent teacher and I love the whole abandoned mall idea.
You even been to Mar's?

Old 05-05-2010 | 10:47 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
Rob Bell? Who's that? LOL
Yes I attend Mar's Hill, been going for 8? years now and I LOVE IT!!
Rob is a excellent teacher and I love the whole abandoned mall idea.
You even been to Mar's?
I wish! I read his books velvet elvis is one of my favorites and listen to his podcasts..

Sadly the church I attend believe he is a heretic, I see what there saying but I value the things he teaches as he says things unlike anyone else. Nobody is perfect.

Old 05-06-2010 | 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i recently had to cut some of my lug nuts off with a torch (kinda my own fault) but new ones will run you about 130 bucks (cheapest i found)... if you dont have anything to do one day you can remove the metal caps from your lugnuts, it requires a chisel, hammer, flathead screwdriver, and patience, but it can be done... the other option is a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar with a 1-1/8 inch six sided deep socket... you wont have to beat it on like you do with the 1-1/16 inch one...

Old 05-06-2010 | 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling

They were also on crack when they decided to put the coils where you can't get to them.

Willie

Quick Reply: Land Rover Designers were on crack. [Lug covers]