Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Discovery 2 Headliner Job.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Land Rover Discovery 2 Headliner Job.

Hello,

I have a few questions on removing the headliner in my D2 Se7. I've taken a few pieces off already, but ran into a small road block.

Do I need to remove all the pillars? Front two with tweeters, and the middle two?
-If I do need to remove them how is it done?

I have rear seats, do the head rests need to be removed?
-How do I remove them if they need to be removed?

Thanks, I'm excited to have a new headliner in the truck. Ill post pictures of my progress.

Attached Thumbnails Land Rover Discovery 2 Headliner Job.-photo.jpg   Land Rover Discovery 2 Headliner Job.-img.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I just loosened/ unsnapped the front pillars. Did not take them out. I also found it more manageable to fold seats forward. Helps to have an extra set of hands when putting it back, it has weak areas that need support to deter folding. If you have sun roofs.

Last edited by dusty1; 12-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have the sunroof, but my buddy is coming over to help me install it. Loosening the front pillars sounds easy enough. What about the 4 seat belt pillars? How are those removed without breaking them? Just pulling them also? I also have the two rear folding seats, so the rear headrests, do they need to be removed also?

A lot of questions, but I want it done right the first time, thanks again.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yep those pillars I loosened and dropped down. Left them with belt in tact. They drop way down. Easy to remove and re install. Open front and back doors. Start at either and pry towards the opposing side.... Like throttling a motor scooter.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Headrest... We are talking about 2nd row? Just fold the seat forward and you are good to go. Jumpseat hrest = I removed

Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, and take care with the insulation around the air vents. You will want to keep that as intact as possible.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:56 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts
Old 12-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by dusty1
Headrest... We are talking about 2nd row? Just fold the seat forward and you are good to go. Jumpseat hrest = I removed

Jump seat head rest, sorry, I could have clarified a bit more. Removing them now thanks.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Discovery - How to repair a leaking sunroof guide - Land Rover Zone

This may help with the door pillars. You have to remove the rear headrests to seats 6&7 (3rd row) and the trim around them. Also remove the large upper trim around the rear side windows and also the trim where the 3rd row seat belts are anchored. You need to unbolt both seat belts at the floor level just inside the rear door and feed them through the trim.

Tip: Use plenty of large zip bags (20"x15" or thereabouts) and mark them with indelible pen what the parts are and where they come from otherwise you'll be in a mess when reassembling the interior. I used a system of 'front' 'middle' and 'rear' with suffix DS = drivers side and PS = passenger side. Makes for an easier life later............ Bon chance.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

You can reline your own headliner but you need to scrape off all the existing glue and foam backer first. PITA job but can be done with a power scraper PARKSIDE PES 200 A1 ELECTRIC SCRAPER OPERATION AND SAFETY NOTES Pdf Download. and then a wire brush. New foam backed headliner material is sold in the US and the adhesive is 3M spray cans. You need clean equipment and a few neoprene decorators rollers to reapply the new liner material. The material, I recollect, needs to be 1.6 metres wide minimum. Sorry, I can't remember the length though.

All D1 and D2 headliners sag at some stage, it's a product of leaking sunroofs, humidity and heat. The material de-bonds from the backing and then sags. It happens in many other car makes also, VW, Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW and even the LR3's & 4's. Common problem.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 12-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Discovery 2 Headliner Job.