Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover > Honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011 | 05:00 PM
|
Pro Wrench
Default Land Rover > Honda

I was planning on changing all my coolant hoses and thermostat today, and wanting to work on a cool engine rather than a hot one, I took the wife's 99 Accord to O'Reilly to get some coolant. As I left O'Reilly, I noticed the battery light was on, as well as the brake light, at idle. At speed, they disappeared. I returned to O'Reilly to ge tthe battery and alternator checked- battery tested marginal, and alternator putting out 11V.

I planned to drive it home and replace the alternator tomorrow or Monday (wife rarely drives). 1/2 mile after leaving O'Reilly, suddenly it will not shift from 1st, then finally does violently. Gauges all turn off, back on, to max, and the car dies. In traffic. I have to call O'Reilly to send a driver with a jump box (I used to work there), drive it into a parking lot, and have it towed back to my house.

Hondas are supposed to be very reliable. Land Rovers are supposed to be unreliable. The Honda has left someone stranded at least twice in the past 4 years. My Land Rover has never left me stranded.

Old 06-04-2011 | 05:21 PM
Mudding

Maybe you take the Honda for granted in it's reliability and expect the LR to be a problem so you are more proactive with it? Personnally, that is my situation. I do it on the LR before it needs it.

Old 06-04-2011 | 06:57 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by thospb
Maybe you take the Honda for granted in it's reliability and expect the LR to be a problem so you are more proactive with it? Personnally, that is my situation. I do it on the LR before it needs it.
Perhaps. I don't flush the brake fluid or coolant every 2 years on it like I do my Landy, and it does have 53,000 more miles than the Landy. I've replaced upstream O2 sensors on both, change oil on time, replace tires and brakes when needed. The Accord has needed both upper control arms, a condenser fan motor, 2 alternators, and a starter in the past 3 years, none of which are really preventative maintenance. The Landy has needed a new upper radiator hose (replacing all of them), and an ABS shuttle valve switch, and possibly a blower motor (if I can't replace just the bearings).

Old 06-04-2011 | 10:24 PM
Team Owner

My Rover has been the second most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
I have put over 50,000 miles on it and it has NEVER EVER once left me stranded.
I have ALWAYS gotten it home or to a "safe" house.
The closest thing I have ever had to being stranded with it was when the 2nd alternator from AutoZone gave up the ghost 75 miles from my mother cottage.
We finished the 200 mile trip on just the battery.
Changed the alt with a 1/4" socket set and needle nose pliers and we were god to go.
The most reliable car I have ever owned was a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero that I bought brand new.
Put 100,000 miles on it in 5 years and never once did it need a repair.