Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Landrover 2001 disco

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landrover 2001 disco

Hi my name is Heather and just joined this forum! I just purchased a 2001 Landrover Disco 2 with 112,000 miles on it and it seems to be leaning on the passenger side occasionally when parked. It doesn't happen all the time but has happened twice! When I start it up it raises back up and drives fine! What is the cause of this it makes me worried please let me know!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Heather,

That's a an interesting question. It's probably the worn springs. I have a friend who had the same problem with his Disco, but the problem was quickly resolved with lift springs. You might want to check out other threads to see if anyone here has encountered the same problem.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You probably have SLS (self leveling suspension) in the rear. if so, the most likely cause is a leaking air bag.

Mine did the same thing and I replaced both air bags and it has been great since.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have the SLS rear air suspension, you might want to call me and I would be glad to walk you thru what to do and check.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM
5th Gear

Thanks you so much I'm taking it to my mechanic today do the oil change and he's gonna look at it I will post what he says to get you opinion

Old 06-05-2013, 07:03 PM
5th Gear

Well I took my landrover in today the engine light was on it was a code P1453?? He said I probably have an air leak in the bag is this expensive to fix??? He said to bring it next week when I'm off to leave it overnight! My vehicle has leaned over 2 more times on the passenger side however when I start it up to get ready to leave it raises up I hear a hissing air sound when I started it and it raised up slowly in drivable mode!! I only paid 3500 for this vehicle and don't wanna dish out thousands to fix it is there anything I an do from here? Disco Mike Im in Washington would love to give u a call to ask questions what is your time where you are at??? Anyone's advice would be helpful

Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

bags do not cost much.
$99 or so

land rover air bag discovery | eBay

Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1453 is a problem with the evaporative emmissions control, it is detecting a leak greater than 0.5 mm in size. Can be something like a loose gas cap.

When back at the shop, also have them check the front drive shaft for grease fittings on all the U-joints. The original factory shaft had sealed joints on one end, they dry out, the shaft splits with almost no warning, and beats a hole in the transmission. Replace or rebuild shaft before this happens.

Air lift system leak detection can be a spray bottle with soapy water, the leak will blow bubbles.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 AM
5th Gear

What's the labor on having them put in a new airbag with labor?? Is that why my car leans on the passenger side rear??? Is it ok to still drive it seems fine

Old 06-06-2013, 06:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hmiser9878
What's the labor on having them put in a new airbag with labor?? Is that why my car leans on the passenger side rear??? Is it ok to still drive it seems fine
Hi. Here's a link to what you need to repair your listing vehicle back to normal. This company is very reputable and has been serving aftermarket parts to Land Rover's since 1970. There are two warehouses that serve east and west cost markets. Fast shipping. Of course, there are other suppliers - just wanted to give you a visual of what needs replacing and it's respective cost.

Sorry, I do not know what the cost to repair is. It will vary from shop to shop. Be aware, some shops my jump as soon as you say, It's a Land Rover. The fact is these trucks are no different from any other (take this w/ a grain of salt) cause we all know it's the best 4x4xFAR

Land Rover Discovery II Air Spring (Same Fit As Genuine Part # RKB101200) - Replacement Parts For Your Suspension System

Actually, this is where I would would purchase from if I still had air suspesion instead of coil springs in the rear. It's straight from the source and they offer a Lifetime warranty and it's $28.45 cheaper. They even offer instruction on how to replace it. If you are mechanically inclined (or if you have a willing/mechanically inclined family member, it's an easy repair): https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LAND_ROVER_yid4_pid48_gid159.htm

Definitely give Mike a call. He won't steer you wrong.

Let us know how you make out.

Last edited by coors; 06-06-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Landrover 2001 disco