Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Landrover won't start any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Landrover won't start any ideas???

Okay, I went to start my Disco 2, 1999 today and she won't start. I checked the battery and it seemed fine. I even took the battery to napa for a test and the guy told me the battery was charged and fine. I cleaned the battery connections and tried to jump my truck, no dice. It just kind of goes cha cha and nothing. I do smell something likes its burning. Like wax smell. Possible starter? or can it be a relay somewhere inside the truck that might have shorted out? If so, where do I look, start? The only thing I did was change out a foglight a few days ago, could I have shorted something out? I'm clueless. Thanks for any help or ideas.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like it cranks slowly? Do all the normal lights come on in the Instrument panel? I would check the other end of the battery cables. You could also try jumping the NEGATIVE post of the battery to the engine (adding to the Ground Cable).

Old 03-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Winching

All lights come on fine. How would I remedy the crank problem?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Mudding

If you use Jumper Cables and connect your battery NEGATIVE to the engine (any bolt or bracket will do) and it cranks normal, then you have identified a poor connection to negative. If this does not help then you may have a bad starter motor.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Winching

Any ideas on what might be causing the burning smell?

Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Mudding

A poor connection means high resistance = more current required to overcome the resistance. More current = more heat. If this keeps up it will be easy to find the problem because the insulation will be melted off the wires. If you check all the connections you will probably find indication of overheating.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a no-start problem all of a sudden. Filled up with gas, went to drive off then nothing. The lights inside the truck didn't even come on. Got a jump connected to battery terminals and no help. Then I put the jump car negative on the negative cable above the battery, not on the battery and it started.

Turns out for mine it was a severely corroded negative battery cable. Couldn't see it easily from looking but when taken apart it was full of rust. New battery terminals fixed the problem.

For the negative terminal issue might try to jump with another car with the negative cable on ground but not on the battery.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I posted this thread a few weeks ago
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...erminal-38891/

If you replace your terminals, be sure to use quality terminals/lugs and not cheap ones like these

The ones pictured will lead to the same issue in short order.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Winching

Ok, I got my truck started yesterday with a new battery, truck worked fine for a day. Than all of a sudden the truck wouldn't start again after driving it for about 85 miles. I tried jumping the truck no luck, so I called my buddy who's a mechanic and he says to try jumping it through the starter by connecting jumper cables directly to starter, presto! it starts. It runs fine until you shut it off and try starting it again. Any ideas why this is happening. Bad ground???? Bad connection from starter to battery? Thanks, guys!!!
Oh I had my starter bench tested and it was fine.

Last edited by mx468; 04-03-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you might have a corroded cable, either ground or positive. Sometimes if there is a split in the insulation it will allow moisture in to corrode cable. Check the connections to the block and starter. you may have a bad cable.

Quick Reply: Landrover won't start any ideas???