Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest News

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest News

Hello all, got alot of very useful information to ponder over the last few months so here's the status I'm stuck.

Originally, after replacing the plug wires, plugs, coil packs, and alternator, the engine was running smoother than it had been since I bought it. The only problem had been the (seemingly) random "lurch" and then the M+S lights would kick on flashing, then a few others if I didn't pull over quickly.. Anyhow, up to about a month ago, when I had pulled over, I could turn off the ignition and wait about five seconds or so, then restart, and the vehicle would seemingly reset itself, (although the Check engine light was constant). Anyway, about a month ago, I was driving along on my was to a lake with my boat in tow, and of course the "lurch".. I pulled over and turned off the key thinking it would reset itself as it had everytime before... Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. THIS time, when I turned the key back on, I get nothing but a few clicks of relays and such, NO crank, nothing.. And the M+S lights, unlike ever before, start flashing immediately, when the key is turned... Now I've read alot stuff from these forums trying to figure all this out.. So I had the battery tested originally by the AAA guy that towed it, who said the battery had a dead cell, Instead of buying a new at the time, I brought to Autozone, who tested it and said it was fine but needed a charge (all this was about a month ago..) So I brought it home, charged it and still same thing... Well today, I decided to eliminate the battery as a problem, bought a brand new #35 whatever that is.. and that didn't help.. Checked as many connections as I could to make sure there wasn't corrosion etc.. I didn't find any.. SO anyhow, after reading for very good replies from some of the posters on here regarding other people with similar problems.. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's the Neutral Safety Switch that's the problem, If it were, let's say, the xyz switch, the gear indicator on the dash would flash or wouldn't change, is that right? I'm dedicated to NOT taking this back ever again to the Dealership after the $600.00 Plug wire debacle.. Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for anything you guys can tell me...

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You say the SES (check engine) light is on? Have you had the codes read? That's the first thing you should do...

Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out the starter was fried.