Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Roof

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014 | 03:21 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Leaking Roof

So, it finally rained for the first time since I picked up the disco and as my wife and I were leaving home the other day she looked up and noticed a wet spot in the headliner near the passengers side A-pillar. It was probably about 5" back from the a-pillar, diagonally inward towards the center of the car. The only two places I can think of that it might be leaking into that spot from are either the roof rail mount or the sunroof, although the sunroof would mean it's traveling about 12" towards the a-pillar before dripping onto the cloth part of the headliner. I know sunroofs sometimes leak but has anyone heard of roof rails mounting points leaking? The wet spot is right around where the forward mount is for the passenger side rail.

Old 02-02-2014 | 08:55 PM
Rock Crawling

I have a leak about the same spot that I think is coming from a broken drain hose on the front sunroof. The headliner is waterproof on the top side so the water could be leaking in and running down to a low point and drip in where there is a hole for a screw.

Old 02-03-2014 | 09:15 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by etsZac
So, it finally rained for the first time since I picked up the disco and as my wife and I were leaving home the other day she looked up and noticed a wet spot in the headliner near the passengers side A-pillar. It was probably about 5" back from the a-pillar, diagonally inward towards the center of the car. The only two places I can think of that it might be leaking into that spot from are either the roof rail mount or the sunroof, although the sunroof would mean it's traveling about 12" towards the a-pillar before dripping onto the cloth part of the headliner. I know sunroofs sometimes leak but has anyone heard of roof rails mounting points leaking? The wet spot is right around where the forward mount is for the passenger side rail.
Oh man, do a search..... and grab some beers.

It's the sunroof. 39846756% sure.

The rail mounts have a tiny sealed bolt hole - non-issue, the sunroofs (on these vehicles) don't seal well any RELY on the catch-pan and drain system to keep water out of the vehicle. Clogged drain tubes are the initial culprit, but a cracked or damaged catch pan / sunroof drain tray can cause endless headaches.

I've dropped my headliner MANY times and it still leaks, even after I test it with gallons of water - now my REAR is acting up big time. I just sealed it up with black duct tape for now, since it's bad for body rust and electronics - and the rear sunroof motor isn't working anyways.

I'll have to see what's going on with the front. I sealed the glass to the black plastic trim (essentially the outer portion of the catch pan) but it STILL LEAKS, which means I believe it's leaking between the painted sheet metal and the plastic trim, which would be a fairly new problem on the forums as I believe everything else is in good working order.

Old 02-03-2014 | 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

bingo^^. drain lines.
dropping the headliner and fix it, be in your future, if you want operable roofs.

Old 02-03-2014 | 12:06 PM
Winching

Yup honestly for now, I'm just going to leave mine sealed up since this winter has been single digits here in VA many times - however, once it gets nice and warm I'd drop the headliner. You can do it half-way and leave the rear-most window trim plastic pieces in place, STEP ONE is to pour water and see where it leaks. Don't just glue some broken stuff and assume it'll fix it because I guarantee you the second it rains you'll have a wet headliner again.

Old 02-03-2014 | 05:17 PM
|
Three Wheeling

What a pain. I'll probably just live with it as long as it stays minor, and if it ends up letting in too much water I'll just silicon the sunroof shut until I feel like redoing the headliner.

Old 02-04-2014 | 12:49 AM
Winching

I had a leak in the same zone. I found cracks on the roof rails right at the windshield. I just filled the front of the roof rails with silicone...lots of it. I haven't had any leaks since. your problem may be something else, but that fixed my leak.

Old 02-04-2014 | 11:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Same leak spot for me too, dropped front headliner down, found broke drain hose, epoxied back together with some new custom plastic work, fixed when parked!! Driving down the highway in a rain storm, water comes in. I think mine is going to need a re-seal on sunroof assembly roof gasket. But that is lower on the list for now.....

Old 02-06-2014 | 10:29 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Started raining again so I was able to get a picture of the leaking spot.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Roof-image-318088394.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014 | 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

only going to get worse.
budget an hour for headliner drop and repair

Quick Reply: Leaking Roof