Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009 | 06:49 AM
|
Baja

anyone have a good link to buy a good pump for the transfer case oil?

Old 08-01-2009 | 07:47 AM
TReK

Harbor freight has a good one for $5.

Old 08-01-2009 | 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Bought mine in the automotive section at the grocery store for $9.

Old 08-01-2009 | 06:47 PM
TReK

That's the same as the one from Harbor Freight.

Old 08-02-2009 | 06:48 AM
|
Baja

great thank you will check HF.

Old 08-02-2009 | 09:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Guys cmon!!!...................why add stop leak, thats the "cowboy" way to do it.......

Simply drain the oil remove the plate, clean it up and refit with some new gasket sealer.....not hard at all.
I forgot to mention, I used to own a horse ranch, maybe that is where I got this idea from.

Old 09-17-2009 | 10:44 AM
1st Gear

I know this thread is a little dated, but i just picked up a 97 disco and am in the process of trying to fix all the wiring and leaks. I'm gonna be using it as a daily driver, but also for doing some wheeling here in colorado. It has a 2" ome lift, a bull bar, and a few other accessories. I love the vehicle so far, but there is a lot of work ahead of me it seems.

I had a decent leak from my t-case and it looked to be the inspection plate, so i drained the oil, cleaned and refit the seal with RTV, filled it back up with 85w-140, and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately it still leaks from the higher seals. I figured i'd give the cowboy method a try and get some white shepherd.

My question is, which white shepherd do I add and how much? There are a few different types, i'm guessing it is the "White Shepherd - Oil Stop Leak"? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike

Old 09-17-2009 | 11:03 AM
Rock Crawling

I re-RTV'd that inspection cover also. When I went to remove my crossmember, bolts started breaking so I did my best to work around the x-member and I probably did a poor job of getting a good seal with the RTV.

I picked up some gasket material and I'm planning on making a gasket for that at some point. It came with factory RTV and it seems to leak and I figured a good old fashioned USA made gasket might just do the trick.

Old 09-17-2009 | 11:35 AM
Drifting

Try removing the inspection plate again. Clean it completely,use some brake clean to remove any oil film (do the same to the transfer case surface).Apply a reasonable amount of gray (stiff) silicone to the plate and reinstall. You might find gasket material in this application, likely to seep.

Old 08-25-2010 | 07:21 PM
Overlanding
Default What are the amber warning lights all about?

I recently had installed a new (rebuilt) t-case from Roverland since my original was dead. After the installation and after driving for about twenty minutes, I started to get alarms and warning lights concerning the T-case . These would indicate that it was not engaged in the lock position while I was driving. According to the manual, I needed to reset the controls by "unwinding" the transmission and following a few steps.
Well...I noticed that it was leaking oil . Could this be that the case was not fitted correctly when installed?

I will greatly appreciate any ideas.
Thanks
Stephen

Quick Reply: Leaking Transfer Case?