Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking transfer case

Good Evening Fellas,

I changed the fluid in our 1996 Discovery I transfer case. It barely had any in it. Bought it used a year or so ago. This is the one area I neglected to check.

Any way, resealed the inspection cover and topped off with Royal Purple. Unfortunatley a few weeks later (today) I noticed it leaking. Dripping on the ground kind of leak.

I bought some Bars Rear Main seal. Should I take it back and order some white shepard or will it work as well? Also, what about adding a heavier weight gear oil?

I will clean it up and try to pin point as to where the leak is coming from.

Its the wifes daily driver so I guess I am hoping for a quick fix until I can make time to go to replacing seals.

Thanks in advance to your response

Jim

Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Start with a 85w-140 gear lube, if it still leaks then add the White Shepard, I know that stuff works, not so sure about the bar's Leaks.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have used the White Shepherd on two of my Discoverys. It worked great for all but a catastrophic rear seal failure on my DI, the seal just disinegrated into several pieces. It is only $20 per bottle, half the price of two quarts of 85/140w Sythetic Gear Lube. Good luck. Phil

Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Overlanding

Thanks. I will give it a shot and let you know.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The White Shepherd is really the way to go.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Overlanding

Ok, drained the transfer case and added 85/145 gear oil along with a whole bottle of White Shepard.

I looked for the vent hose to check for clogging and was unable to locate it. Anybody care to tell me where to look?

I hope this will work, at least for a while. I have always been skeptable of oil stop leak additives, however I have read alot of positive results on here.

The oil appears to be coming from the front end of the case. Not sure where and havent pressure washed it yet.

I let you know the results I get from what I did above. Thanks to all.

Good to hear from you Disco Mike. When we bought the truck, you were very helpfull and even took the time to discuss the truck on the phone. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What year do you have?

White shepherd has worked wonders for many. I even fixed a ps leak with it...

Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Overlanding

It is a 1996 model. Glad to hear there is hope for the White Shepard. I do not have the time right now to pull the transfer case and reseal.

I did read that you did not have to pull it for certain seals. Right now I don't have a clue where it is leaking from. Got to wash it after I give the White Shepard a chance to work.

Love the truck. Bought it for my wife and we use it regulary for pulling the bass boat, groceries etc....Of course it is her daily driver as well.

Jim

Old 06-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will warn you that if it is a bearing, you will need to fix it. Do you have a good whine? Mine started leaking and vibrating a little. My bearing on the front output shaft was toast. They aren't too difficult to replace. Just drop the shaft and pull it out.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rancher43

I did read that you did not have to pull it for certain seals. Right now I don't have a clue where it is leaking from. Got to wash it after I give the White Shepard a chance to work.

Jim
There are no seals or bearings on the t-case that you need to pull it out of the truck to replace.
All can be done with it in the truck, it is best to have it on a lift, you have 2 output shaft seals, one input shaft seal and one inspection plate seal.
www.discoweb.org has a write up on how to do it in their tech section.

Quick Reply: leaking transfer case