Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaks - Help Me Identify

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Leaks - Help Me Identify

Howdy,
I just finally bought a rover and was able to get a good deal. However, with this good deal comes a bit of work for me to do. I'm ordering up what's needed to do the 60k maintenance and also want to take care of a few leaks on this thing. I think I know exactly what needs to be replaced on all these but I just want a few extra sets of eyes and some experienced opinions...

1. Rear Differential:

Ok, I guess this one's gonna suck. All I can figure is that I'm going to have to pull the wheels, hub/axle, drop the driveshaft, and completely remove the rack and pinion in order reseal this. Or, are there any experienced ideas for a suitable 'quick-fix'?

2. Transfer Case
Rear View

Front View

Will I need to drop the transfer case in order to seal this one up or will it be sufficient to remove this bottom cover plate and replace the gasket?

3. Sump Rear

I 'think' that only the sump gasket is leaking here and it's flowing back to the bottom of the bell housing...right? Please don't tell me this is a rear main seal leaking through....please...

4. Sump Front

This one seems pretty simple....it's just the gasket on the sump, right?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont replace a single gasket yet.
First things first, clean the under side of the truck either with a power washer or the drive threw car wash.
Then remove your axle breathers and make sure they are not clogged, replace if needed.
Then change your gear lubes to a 85w-140.
The most common leaks on these is the power steering and valve covers.
The transmission cooler lines and the oil cooler lines on a DI.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree completely and would then go one more step and buy some White Shepard oil seal treatment and follow the direction, this stuff does geat things to leaking seals.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Then get back on if it is still leaking. Looks like main seals, not the sump on your engine, and the X-fer case looks like the rear output seal. Someone really knocked the crap out of the rear diff.

How much do these leaks spit out? It may just be seepage over time. Wash it up and see how bad they are..

Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

A post with pics! NOW WE CAN HELP!

If your valve covers are leaking enough at the rear they could be oil dripping down to the rear sump.

I had great success with White Shepherd oil stop leak I bought one bottle and divided it up between the rear axle and transfer case and front axle. My rear pas side hub is no longer leaking. My Transfer case is no longer leaking. and my front axle never leaked so i sort of used it as a conditioner/preventive maintenance.

The power steering stop leak is more recommended axles, diffs, and t-cases and is half the cost of the oil stop leak.

I just bought the steering stop leak for a Discovery 1 I am working on for the transfer case.

Use the rear main sealer anyway. I used this for the DI and it is dark purple in color and it flows like water. I don't know if it worked since I havent replaced the leaking oil pan gasket on that Disco.

POWER WASH EVERYTHING so you can better identify where it's coming from.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spike555
Dont replace a single gasket yet.
The most common leaks on these is the power steering and valve covers.
The transmission cooler lines and the oil cooler lines on a DI.
I have an 02 DII and the pics look very similar to what I am currently trying to resolve, after washing the engine I've identified about five main areas leaking- 1. valve covers to the rear of the engine...I overtorqued the bolts and it looks better after about 100 miles but still a little wet on the left side. 2. the area right above the front axle on the left, but I can't identify specifically where it is coming from. 3. right above the oil filter...almost looks like it's coming from a bolt on the block in front of the filter...filter was installed correctly so I don't think it's that. 4. area above the starter and I can't see exactly where. 5. transfer case above the two inspection plates...can't id whether it's coming from the plates or not. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Wink

For step 2 extreme, where do you put all the fuel to drive for 2 days????

Originally Posted by jycsalas
A post with pics! NOW WE CAN HELP!

If your valve covers are leaking enough at the rear they could be oil dripping down to the rear sump.

I had great success with White Shepherd oil stop leak I bought one bottle and divided it up between the rear axle and transfer case and front axle. My rear pas side hub is no longer leaking. My Transfer case is no longer leaking. and my front axle never leaked so i sort of used it as a conditioner/preventive maintenance.

The power steering stop leak is more recommended axles, diffs, and t-cases and is half the cost of the oil stop leak.

I just bought the steering stop leak for a Discovery 1 I am working on for the transfer case.

Use the rear main sealer anyway. I used this for the DI and it is dark purple in color and it flows like water. I don't know if it worked since I havent replaced the leaking oil pan gasket on that Disco.

POWER WASH EVERYTHING so you can better identify where it's coming from.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by whiteoak
1. Rear Differential:

Ok, I guess this one's gonna suck. All I can figure is that I'm going to have to pull the wheels, hub/axle, drop the driveshaft, and completely remove the rack and pinion in order reseal this. Or, are there any experienced ideas for a suitable 'quick-fix'?
Would be a good idea to check the torque on the diff before starting any maintenance or adding stop leak....at 56,000 I had a similar leak from the front and started maintenance only to find all the bolts extremely under torqued. I still took it apart and resealed it as I was already in the chute but if you have not done anything yet it would be good to confirm torque before moving on.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mishon
I have an 02 DII and the pics look very similar to what I am currently trying to resolve, after washing the engine I've identified about five main areas leaking- 1. valve covers to the rear of the engine...I overtorqued the bolts and it looks better after about 100 miles but still a little wet on the left side. 2. the area right above the front axle on the left, but I can't identify specifically where it is coming from. 3. right above the oil filter...almost looks like it's coming from a bolt on the block in front of the filter...filter was installed correctly so I don't think it's that. 4. area above the starter and I can't see exactly where. 5. transfer case above the two inspection plates...can't id whether it's coming from the plates or not. Any ideas would be appreciated.
1-if tightening them does not stop the leak then new gaskets are in order
2-drivers side or passenger side? Just want to be clear if you mean my left or your left.
3-on a DI the oil pressure sending unit is located right above the oil filter, it cracks and then leaks, have not heard of this happening on a DII and do not know for a fact that is where the oil PSI sending unit is on a DII, but worth a look.
4-not much back there to leak...other might have ideas
5-the inspection plate is a common leak and a easy fix, drain the case, remove plate, clean and reseal with RTV, refill case.

If it is not leaking onto the ground I really wouldnt worry about it to mcuh, but thats up to you.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for all the wonderful advice folks! Never would have gone the suggested routes but they sound like excellent advise!

Quick Reply: Leaks - Help Me Identify