Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Land Rover DII in a particular way

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Leaky Land Rover DII in a particular way

Okay. First off, Yes, I have searched and read the various things that everyone with experience in this has to say. It already has my brain churning as to how I can get creative and permanently fix it, but that all depends on what feedback I get from here seeing as how my leak is quite particular in comparison to what I've read so far. So here goes, below are my symptoms, attempts to fix, and experiences thus far.

The AC air intake plenum or lower windshield cowel, was cracked to hell, so I replaced it right before a huge storm here in San Antonio, Texas. I drove off and it was in rain the entire 10 or so consecutive hours of rain, and the next day not one drop of moisture was felt on my passenger or driver side carpet.
Problem solved right? WRONG. Today, a crazy little cloud system passed through, and I went to check on the Rover just to smile as to how it would be dry, and BOOM, shock all over my face when the passenger side floor board was soaked. The driver side however had a small sized wet spot, and by no means severe, none the less, still water(not good).

I am missing the passenger side windshield A-Pillar trim piece, and have not checked the sun roof drain lines...but if it is the drain lines, why is it only wetting the floor boards and nothing else? And if it is the A-Pillar trim, then why is it still wet on the driver side where the piece is still completely intact? Please help guys. I'm planning on redoing the headliners this weekend, and if possible, I want to fix all of this myself. If I remember any additional details, I'll be sure to add them, and if you need any additional details let me know and I'll help as best as I can.

Best,
Ashtray

Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If it is not the sunroof drain lines, consider that the AC condensate drains could also be plugged, mine was on one side. These are rubber orifices that come out of the tranny tunnel on each side.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes the sunroof drains get clogged at the bottom and water collects. Since you're already redoing headliner it shouldn't be a big deal to double check them, run hot water and follow with compressed air to clean 'em out.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI: try leaving the ac on recirculate and see if you still have a leak. Could be a baffle door issue. I have noticed when going through a carwash I will find water in the same places you are, but don't on recirculate.. Just a thought.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is it water or coolant on the floor?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If it is not the sunroof drain lines, consider that the AC condensate drains could also be plugged, mine was on one side. These are rubber orifices that come out of the tranny tunnel on each side.
Hmm. I want to say I doubt it is the AC, as I rarely use it. But I'll check RAVE and find what you just explained. How easy is it to check what you think might be my problem?

Originally Posted by honda50r
Sometimes the sunroof drains get clogged at the bottom and water collects. Since you're already redoing headliner it shouldn't be a big deal to double check them, run hot water and follow with compressed air to clean 'em out.
Will do. By the way...Where EXACTLY are these drain lines? On my old Lexus it was easy and right in front of your face...I'm not sure where these are located because there is so much mechanical structure in the way. Help?

Originally Posted by willrok13
FYI: try leaving the ac on recirculate and see if you still have a leak. Could be a baffle door issue. I have noticed when going through a carwash I will find water in the same places you are, but don't on recirculate.. Just a thought.
If a baffle door is something that lets in air from outside when NOT in recirculate, then this is sounding considerable. I'll put it recirc. today and try a car wash once the carpets dry.

Originally Posted by drowssap
is it water or coolant on the floor?
It is water. Why do you ask?

Last edited by ashtray; 10-02-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"It is water. Why do you ask?" if it were coolant it would be a leaking heater core

Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Mudding

@ drowssap, I'm positive it's water.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: How easy is it to check what you think might be my problem?

Slide under truck and look up. Usually crud on end of very short nipple. I poked mine with a stick to avoid getting a bath when the clog let go.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Mudding

Okay so first off, sorry for being picky and asking for exact things...but @savannah, where is this nipple located. heres an update.

I drove about 150 miles today to my hometown, using the AC on recirculate. It has NOT rained and when I washed the truck, the sun roof did NOT get wet, so I'm positive the sunroof drains are fine. HOWEVER my carpets are still wet AND vapor was coming out of the driver side AC vent again.

Can we connect these 2 things? Vapor from the AC vent on the driver side next to the radio, and a soaking wet passenger side and a moderately wet driver side. I did wash the truck, but I by no means soaked the lower windshield cowel enough to have this amount of "dampness" on my carpets...then again who knows how much it takes.

PLEASE help. If I could get an exact location of this nipple I'll check that out and if it is clogged then that was my problem. Thanks guys.

edit: just read in the tranny tunnel on both sides. Will update tomorrow. Now...the vapor?

Last edited by ashtray; 10-13-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Leaky Land Rover DII in a particular way