Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learned more about the rover I may buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learned more about the rover I may buy

I would be buying it from my brother-in-law, it's a 99 disco II with 121000 miles. He replaced the engine with a used one from a newer model with 88,000 miles on it, it looks to run well with out oil leaks and he would give me all the parts he had extra from one engine or the other which are still good. The 3 amigo lights don't light up when turning the key to on so I will get the codes read and see what they say. The air suspention was replaced with coil springs, they have air shocks but they are both blow out and needs to be changed. The front drive shaft broke while he was in his driveway so it didn't total the transmission but it did cause a small crack in it above the oil pan which he tried to fix with jb weld but I just looked at it and it didn't stick. The body has a terrible home made 2" lift out of galvanized collars in some places and others have no support. I will take it to work with me tomorrow and put it on a lift to look at more and test drive it more. My brother-in-law has made a few correct improvements to it and found a lot of good information here also but as you read it still needs stuff addressed. He would sell it to me for $4000, I know it isn't a steal but rovers are far and few between around here. I really really like this truck but do you think I should run away from this thing because of those problems? I'm sure the biggest one is the crack in the transmission but it does look like it would be very small guessing from the size of the jb weld patch,

Attached Thumbnails Learned more about the rover I may buy-landrover.jpg  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Look elsewhere, truck doesn't sound good and buying way over price from a relative is a family breaker soon there after.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Drifting

I have to agree with disco mike..
It's overpriced... And could cause some bad blood between you two..
Why did he say he wanted to get rid of it? From what you posted I think I have my answer.. but I just wanna hear what he said...

Old 08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

$1000 at most, it needs a new trans for starters.
You dont say where you live, but gas is going though the roof and Disco's will be for sale everywhere.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Look elsewhere, truck doesn't sound good and buying way over price from a relative is a family breaker soon there after.
Agreed, I bought the same year truck with 30,000 MORE miles THREE years ago in better condition for cheaper - if I were to sell it now it would have none of the issues you mentioned. Perfect trans with no issues, all synthetic fluids, NO warning lights, fully functional SLS air suspension, new driveshaft (replaced preemptively by me after I noticed driveline vibrations) etc etc. Mine now has almost 170,000 miles on it. For the vehicle in question to be in a lesser working order with 50,000 LESS miles says a lot about the owners and your potential expenses in the future.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

$2000 max

Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm guessing your in-laws dont like you.

Thats a lot on money for a 99 that needs a lot of work to make it correct.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:16 PM
6th Gear

My brother-in-law is going to sell the rover for 5000 if I don't buy it and knowing him he won't even have a problem getting that for it. Living where I live I rarely see any rovers other than brand new ones here and there. I got to drive it around a little last night and to work today and I must say it drives wonderful, I was surprised how flat it corners. I really like a discovery, I like the green color, the brush guard, the height, the tire size, the leather interior, the 3rd row seating. I also really appreciate the mechanics of this beast, and not to mention the best support group in the world known as lardroverforums. I am still considering buying this since it has some redeaming qualities. The transmission isn't worth buying a new one because of the cost, I would much rather weld or braze up the crack and keep and eye on it. I'm not one to allow a vehical to cause problems with in my family, if it blows up the day after I buy it I will chalk it up to bad luck and now allow it to cause bad blood. I know the price is higher than bb value but it is lower than he can sell it for. Any running 4wd vehical with working air condition will comand a few thousand dollars here and being looked at as a bit exotic adds to the value. I just did a quick cars.com search and there are 2 discoverys within 250 miles from me, the lower priced one is a 2002 for 9000 dollars. sheesh
Oh well if I buy it I will have a project that looks like a ton of fun

Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd offer $2,000 max if you really really want it. You are going to want to replace that lift with a legitimate kit from Terrafirma or EMU. Plus your transmission crack/leak may or may not be fixable. Is it shifting hard? You may have to replace it. Additionally a head gasket job maybe in your near future as the engine approaches 100,000 miles. Are you mechanical? You can find 03/04 Disco's at $5,000 now days.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Where do you live? Theres a few fixer uppers around here I can get cheap..
They run and drive... Sounds like I could make some easy cash there..

Quick Reply: Learned more about the rover I may buy