Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave it to the pros!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:11 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leave it to the pros!

It's obvious to me that you guys know 110 percent more than I do about Land Rovers and working on cars in general, but i'm eager to learn more and customize my stock 95 discovery. This will be my first time working on one of my cars on my own so bear with me. At this point i've only changed my oil on schedule. I really don't know what types of maintenance I need to perform to optimize her performance. I was planning on draining and refilling all the fluids, changing the spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, battery etc. i'm on a budget, but I'm interested in setting my 95 up for some offroading. I'll still be driving her on regular roads here and there, but my main focus is off the road. I'm on a budget, but would like to throw some nice fat mud tires etc. I'd be interested in a nice lift kit in the future, but not a necessity right now. Let me know what you guys think as far what maintenance I can perform and what types of mods I can make that will get me ready to hit some trails and not get stuck, or laughed at. thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Leave it to the pros!

Well you do not need nice fat mud tires. All you need is a GOOD set of all terrains.
As far as maintanice goes, like you said, change all the fluids, plugs and wires.
You must use either Land Rover wires or better yet, Magnecor plug wires.
Once you get your truck up and running good it will be a awesome trail rig, then you can put in a 2" lift, but you do not need super swampers.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you a list of what to do.
Mike

Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I think a lift should be far down the list. Unless you're going to be climbing stuff alot or REALLY need more clearance, I dont think the lift is needed. Tires are first priority off road, a good tire makes all the difference. I run General Grabber A/T2 and they are awesome off road. I will be putting another set on when I need tires again.

As for off road ad-ons. Instead of a lift, lookinto front or rearbumber (and a winch maybe), or some rock sliders, or maybe some off road protection under the truck. These things are costly, but more benefical than a lift. Now, after you take it off road a few times and see what she can do, THEN decide if you need a lift. You may need it, you may not. These things are awesome off road, even stock. But once you mod it just a little, its even better! Good luck!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:23 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what i have read and learned on here is that simply putting in new springs will gain you back up to a inch of lost height simply caused by the stock springs sagging.

i would cover all the major maintenance issues firstly then look to off road protection and recovery gear. if you plan on crawling your rig over boulders then yes you will need a lift. but anything other then that a lift is hardly needed. you will be shocked at the crap you can get into and out of in a stocker. mine goes damn near anywhere and i am on street tires.