Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED lights for an 04?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LED lights for an 04?

Now that the sun isn't as long for the day I find myself driving at night more. I've come to realize the current lamps in the Disco SUCK. I feel like I can see pretty well at night, but I'm going to need some night vision goggles with these things. Anyway, was doing some reading (thank you to all those who have come before) and see that LEDs for the 04 aren't as common as I'd hoped. I was doing some searching and found these: https://auxbeam.com/collections/led-...ducts/gd001666
They look promising, 1:1 size to a halogen lamp. I can't find any reviews or anything on these. Has anyone used them before? For the price, I might just take the plunge but wanted to check first.
Thanks.

Old 11-26-2021, 05:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

If you're looking for an upgrade, the simplest path is a higher wattage Halogen bulb.

Second to that is retrofitting projectors so you can run LEDs or HIDs without blinding incoming traffic. I understand some folks don't have as much trouble seeing when they are lit up by incoming traffic with LED/HID bulbs in halogen lenses, but some folks have light sensitivity issues while night driving and those are blinding. I've been put into a couple dangerous situations because of being blinded by incoming traffic light that.

My last advice would be to make sure your headlights are clean. It's surprising how much even just a little fog on your headlights cuts down the light output. Polish them up with some polishing compound (and a buffing wheel if you have one or can get one), and then spray them with some clear coat to keep them from fogging again too quickly.

Best of luck! If you decide to go through the effort of retro-ing projectors, feel free to ask questions. I've been through the process and there is a write up on the forum somewhere as well.

The following users liked this post:
discoinfernoOSV (11-27-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

I replaced all of my lights interior/exterior with led bulbs. To make it easy just went to superbrightleds.com and got the correct fitting bulbs for everything with exception of some of the dash lights, which I had to reorder. This was recommended from another forum member and I was happy with the upgrade. Others have mentioned specific led headlight bulbs that they preferred and perhaps were cheaper if you do some investigating. One mistake I almost made was getting clear bulbs instead of matching the colors for red or amber lenses. Good luck

Old 11-26-2021, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm running LED bulbs from Morimoto in my 04. I'd honestly not recommend them because they glare a lot. If you're looking for better light output, I'd recommend taking the retrofit route to unsure you don't blind oncoming drivers. No matter how much I've messed with my led bulbs in my housing, there's no getting around the glare issue with the 2 sided style LED bulbs. Maybe once there are some 360 degree style bulbs for h7 fitments, then there will be some improvement in the halogen projector but running an LED in the low bean bowl is really rough for anyone in the oncoming lanes.

The following 3 users liked this post by andino:
discoinfernoOSV (11-27-2021), Discorama (11-28-2021), The_OGCJR (11-26-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 07:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
If you're looking for an upgrade, the simplest path is a higher wattage Halogen bulb.

Second to that is retrofitting projectors so you can run LEDs or HIDs without blinding incoming traffic. I understand some folks don't have as much trouble seeing when they are lit up by incoming traffic with LED/HID bulbs in halogen lenses, but some folks have light sensitivity issues while night driving and those are blinding. I've been put into a couple dangerous situations because of being blinded by incoming traffic light that.

My last advice would be to make sure your headlights are clean. It's surprising how much even just a little fog on your headlights cuts down the light output. Polish them up with some polishing compound (and a buffing wheel if you have one or can get one), and then spray them with some clear coat to keep them from fogging again too quickly.

Best of luck! If you decide to go through the effort of retro-ing projectors, feel free to ask questions. I've been through the process and there is a write up on the forum somewhere as well.
My head lamp enclosure is crystal clear on both sides. I think the previous owners must have gotten new units before I bought the truck. I like the idea of LED lights so I'd rather move to them instead of a halogen if I can. I hadn't thought about the blinding issue, thanks for pointing that out. I hate when I get trucks like that behind me. Seems like nothing is as easy as it seems with these trucks. I'll look into the projector process. Always looking for a project after all.

Originally Posted by 04disco2va
I replaced all of my lights interior/exterior with led bulbs. To make it easy just went to superbrightleds.com and got the correct fitting bulbs for everything with exception of some of the dash lights, which I had to reorder. This was recommended from another forum member and I was happy with the upgrade. Others have mentioned specific led headlight bulbs that they preferred and perhaps were cheaper if you do some investigating. One mistake I almost made was getting clear bulbs instead of matching the colors for red or amber lenses. Good luck
I hadn't heard of that site, thanks! Eventually I'd like to replace most with LEDs, just starting simple for now.

Originally Posted by andino
I'm running LED bulbs from Morimoto in my 04. I'd honestly not recommend them because they glare a lot. If you're looking for better light output, I'd recommend taking the retrofit route to unsure you don't blind oncoming drivers. No matter how much I've messed with my led bulbs in my housing, there's no getting around the glare issue with the 2 sided style LED bulbs. Maybe once there are some 360 degree style bulbs for h7 fitments, then there will be some improvement in the halogen projector but running an LED in the low bean bowl is really rough for anyone in the oncoming lanes.
Thanks for the input. I don't want to be one of "those people" out there so it's taken seriously. I didn't think about that at all when considering this option. I'm going to start researching retrofitting now. Down the worm hole I go...

Old 11-27-2021, 07:47 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

I'm running these in my '03: https://auxbeam.com/products/spu00174
They should fit a 2004.
It's a tight squeeze to get them into the headlight housing, but they will go in there.
The difference is impressive, and the scatter doesn't seem bad at all. No complaints from other drivers.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got new low beams from http://www.headlightexperts.com/ and there are great. Just a bit of scatter and basically plug and play. I converted my whole D2 to LED. Way better. Only had to do the fast flash capacitors or resistors in the rear.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mollusc
I'm running these in my '03: https://auxbeam.com/products/spu00174
They should fit a 2004.
It's a tight squeeze to get them into the headlight housing, but they will go in there.
The difference is impressive, and the scatter doesn't seem bad at all. No complaints from other drivers.
I saw the post where you said that but I didn't see if you said which ones you used. Thanks for the link. I'm on the fence. The wife is on board with the simpler method of trying just putting in the LEDs and trying instead of retrofitting. May try that first.

Originally Posted by brivalen
I got new low beams from http://www.headlightexperts.com/ and there are great. Just a bit of scatter and basically plug and play. I converted my whole D2 to LED. Way better. Only had to do the fast flash capacitors or resistors in the rear.
That's awesome. I'm hoping for the whole thing. I see auxbeam sells a nice panel to operate the LEDs that is appealing. I'm not where I need it yet, but planning on adding a lot over the next year or so for when we are overnighting and fishing. We will see.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Auxbeam is good stuff

Old 11-28-2021, 01:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts

If you want to run standard 7 inch round led headlights these adapters have worked great for me for several years of on/off-road travel. Only drawback is you need to have patience as they ship from Australia.

https://www.ultraflex4x4.com/ecommer...roducts_id/201

Quick Reply: LED lights for an 04?