Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side, both tires, ran over 4x4 at 50 mph, what damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Left side, both tires, ran over 4x4 at 50 mph, what damage?

My 2004 Discovery 2, cruising down interstate at 50 mph, when an empty semi in other lane passed me; when he got slightly ahead, two 4 x 4s flew off his bed, one bouncing by my vehicle, and the other landing flat on pavement in front of me. I ran over it with left front and rear tires--scary as hell for a few seconds. I examined both tires and wheels, noticing a three inch long black mark on edge of both wheels, where tires obviously rolled up over edge of wheels, but no obvious bending, denting of either wheel. I took it to a reliable repair shop, for examination to see if any damage was done, anything bent, etc. They told me that the front end is so heavily built, well built, that it took the abuse in stride, having nothing bent or damaged at all. I had them do a front end alignment, but even that may not have been necessary. Now, I don't suggest you do this, but if you were to do the same act with most small vehicles on road today, I am certain that you would have damage done! I love my Rover, and try not to abuse it, but when this happened, I swear I heard it say, "Is that all you have to offer, not a problem; you have a good day!"

Old 08-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You need to pull both wheels and inspect then for a bent rim.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You are lucky you are not dead.
Wood came off a truck in Salt Lake City in 1997 or so and if the wood would have hit my Saab head on - it may have gone thru the windshield and killed me.
The wood hit my windshield broad side.
My saab 9000 windshield did not shatter.
Just heard a bang.

I would go down an interstate - which is recently paved - no crowns in the road at 65. Take the hands off the steering wheel.
Goes straight?

Now turn the wheel 20 degrees left, right left right to see if anything is loose.

Steering wheel is level how it was?

Then you are probably OK.
as mike says check rims too!
And the tire belts may have been damaged or have broken.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I would imagine that you at least shifted a belt in the front tire, and should plan on replacing it sooner than later.

And you are damn lucky that post didn't hit your windshield. Things could have gone much, much worse if it had.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

no kidding. I had a college roommate who's mom took a 3" steel pipe through the chest. i lecture the wife until I am blue, when she drives. can't trust people to secure there load, inspected or not. I want to give a swift kick to every idiot that thinks he and his bro can hold a mattress to the roof of their s***box with their hand out the window.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling

"You need to pull both wheels and inspect then for a bent rim." Service shop did this, took, tires off wheels, and to my surprise, no damage to the wheels or tires. My tires steel belting, must be damn good, and wheels, 18" original Aluminum alloy wheels, must be damn good too.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

"I would imagine that you at least shifted a belt in the front tire, and should plan on replacing it sooner than later." I had similar thoughts, but tires off wheels at service shop for inspection found no damage or problem with tires or wheels. Now, how lucky is that?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Rock Crawling

"Wood came off a truck in Salt Lake City in 1997 or so and if the wood would have hit my Saab head on - it may have gone thru the windshield and killed me." I thought the same thing for my case, because that first 4x4 could have easily done this, but it fly by to my left; still shook up and starting to shake, I ran over second 4x4. Swear, I heard my Rover say "is that all you have to give." Yes, now I know why my dad hated those semi trucks to pieces! In life, I have had about three situations that could have killed me, making for a very bad day, but luck prevailed---maybe because I am mostly Irish??

Old 08-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was a woman speeding to a funeral in the rain because she was late. She spun totally out of control. So ironic...rushing to funeral, hit 2 other cars, and could've killed all of us.

There, but for the grace of the Land Rover gods (and God), go I...and anyone else on this thread who's had a similar experience.

That's a main reason why we drive these vehicles. The Discovery is as strong as a tank. I know what it feels like to be hit with amazing impact and have my Discovery hold strong and steady, and keep me and my 2-yr-old safe and sound. Air bags didn't even need to deploy.

Glad you're ok, earlyrover. Be thankful that you were in a Discovery.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Houston freeways are some of the worst for stuff on them, big trucks aren't as much of an issue other than sand and gravel trucks that drop stuff to ding your windshield. The worst offenders are people who overload their pickups and don't tie things down.

I once had a pick up in front of me loose a piece of metal pipe, it hit my windshield so hard in front of my passenger and smashed it big time only to fly over the roof for some other car to find. My friend said, "boy that was close, I could have been killed."

He passed away 4 months later from a heart attack.... Go figure.

Quick Reply: Left side, both tires, ran over 4x4 at 50 mph, what damage?