Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk Disco II car audio!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by escott16
Don’t have many pictures but I have a pioneer flip up unit . All new speakers with new wiring and it’s own 4 channel amp mounted under the passenger seat . And a 12” sub in the trunk with amp mounted to one of the bins. And soundeadening in all the doors to make everything better
What route did you go for the sound deadening? I just ordered some
Noico 80 mil material from Amazon Noico 80 mil material from Amazon
and installed it on my Prius. Worked pretty well. Only did the doors so far but plan on doing the floors as well.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Winching
Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts

that exact brand and thickness is what i used

Old 03-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerRover
I like that! How did you do the bezel?
Had a local shop with lots of custom fab experience do the whole install. They built the sub box, the bezel mod, and the rest of the install.

I don't have the time or set up these days to spend on projects like this anymore.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerRover
Do you by chance remember the direct fit radios double din? I am not really wanting to mod the bezel if I don't have too.
sorry, no

Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

will most likely go with a flip out screen one that will give me what I need, not too concerned over power etc just a halfway decent sound. I used to be into it long ago as I worked in car audio lol, for sound deadner we used grace ice and water shield in a lot of them as easier to work with and would layer where we needed to.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

I just want to get a media HU and maybe an 8” sub setup. Keeping the stock speakers for now

Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My 1999 disco two came with the upgraded Harman Kardon system and steering wheel controls. It also has the under seat six disc CD changer. The original system actually sounded really good, but I did not want to be driving around with an adapter hanging out of the dashboard for my phone.

I went to Crutchfield.com and ordered a basic Panasonic single din stereo with Bluetooth. I just wanted to be able to use my phone and Podcasts for Music. Also wanted to be able to speak on the phone hands-free.

Crutchfield harness was nice and simple. Soldered that together and trying to do it on my workbench and then the radio installation was simple. Kept all the original speakers. Fish the microphone again and talked it away near the instrument cow work it’s nice coverage but is not ugly.

Only problem I had was steering wheel controls. I purchase the device from Crutchfield to get steering wheel controls, follow their basic website instructions for dip switch positions, and it didn’t work. I called the Crutchfield help number and they said that those positions are only starting points, and may not work exactly for each model. In the end, the only solution to that will be to sit there with all the wiring in my lap and try multiple dip switch positions until I get the right one. I am not doing this yet, as the car is at my sons house in California

Meantime, I have a radio AM/FM Bluetooth, and telephone Bluetooth. I need to drop a CD in the six disc changer. But it is my guess that it will work when I flip to auxiliary input. If not, when we get home from our long trip I will remove the CD player and gain some extra under seat storage space on the passenger side. I don’t often listen to CDs anyway, but for some trips it could be nice to load up the CD changer and not have to futz around with the phone.

My solution is much simpler than those suggested above. But I have had excellent help and support from Crutchfield for anything I’ve ever done. I have use their wiring and components to install a stereo in my 1999 Porsche 911 as well as my 2007 Toyota tundra. I have even had a back up camera to the Toyota tundra. I do like the idea of the back up camera on the rover, but I did not pick up a head unit with a screen.

Fortunately, all of the disco twos should be early enough that no one has to deal with a can Bus like some of the newer vehicles. Those are nearly impossible to upgrade.

I would post pictures of my installation, but it’s nothing special, and the land rover is 2800 miles away right now.

The following users liked this post:
HuskerRover (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd be happy to just find decent speakers that fit the stock door opening

Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Honestly, the Harmon Kardon system sounded good. Still does, with new head unit. I wonder if they used different speakers? I'd say in my pick-your-part trips, about ⅓ - ½ of the trucks I see have HK system. No one takes stock speakers out of trucks. So that might be one possibility. But again, I'm not sure if they are different speakers than the base model stereos.

(important disclaimer - ask me again after I take 3 weeks in April to drive it across the USA while listening to this speakers......)

Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 PM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

my '99 truck has the "high line" audio system. externally, everything looks identical to the setup in my '03 except that it also has the additional headphone outlets for the rear passengers. i had one speaker out in the a-pillar on the '03 so i decided to harvest from the old truck. surprise! they're not the same. the specs printed on the older ones far exceeded those on the newer.
the head units both look identical. however, the higher spec one has an additional "spatial" option among the tone controls. maybe the model number is different but i haven't thought to check; aside from that, the only way to tell the difference between the two seems to be to plug them in and turn them on.
so it turns out that the speakers may be worth grabbing if they're the top of the line ones. pulling the a-pillar might be the easiest way to check.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Disco II car audio!